How can we increase the second moment (moment of inertia) in a physical system?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of second moment, which is equivalent to moment of inertia in physics. It is defined as the integral of (x-μ)^2 multiplied by a weight or probability function. To increase the second moment, one needs to decrease the average of x, which can be achieved by moving the particles further away from each other. To keep the mean constant, parallel translations can be used.
KFC
Hi there,
I am reading a math book with a lot of examples on mechanical physics. I saw a math term about second moment. In wiki, it is said that second moment is just moment of inertia in physics and has definition as below

##\int(x-\mu)^2f(x)dx##

here ##\mu## is the average and ##f(x)## is the weight or probability. Let me rewrite this into the summation with uniform weight as follow

##\dfrac{\sum_i (x_i-\mu)^2}{N} = \langle x^2\rangle - \langle x\rangle^2##

I am trying to associate this with moment of inertia and try to figure out how can we increase the moment of inertia based on this formula. In that formula, if we want to increase the second moment, we should decrease the average of ##x##, if ##x## is mass, does it mean that I need to put all mass pieces as close to others as possible so to have minimum average? If I did that, how can I tell that won't decrease the first term as well? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your best bet is to increase [itex]\langle x^2\rangle[/itex] while keeping the mean constant. This means moving things away from the mean on opposite sides.

The moment of inertia is like the variance of a set of statistical data. In fact, if all particles have equal weight, it is proportional to the sum of the variances of the x,y and z coordinates of the particles in the body.

The variance is the second central moment of a distribution. It is increased by moving the data further away from one another. In the physical case, that means moving the particles further away from one another.

One way to keep the mean constant is to just make some changes that move the particles further away from one another, then measure the mean and then translate all the particles in parallel to put the mean back where it was. Parallel translations do not change the moment of inertia (second central moment).

What is the second moment of an object?

The second moment, also known as the moment of inertia, is a property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is a measure of how an object's mass is distributed around its axis of rotation.

Why is it important to increase the second moment?

Increasing the second moment can provide greater stability and strength to a rotating object. It can also help distribute stress and strain more evenly, reducing the risk of failure or deformation.

What factors affect the second moment?

The second moment is affected by the mass, shape, and distribution of mass around the axis of rotation of an object. The further the mass is from the axis, the larger the second moment will be. The shape of the object also plays a role, with larger and more spread out shapes having a larger second moment.

How can the second moment be increased?

The second moment can be increased by changing the mass distribution of an object. This can be achieved by adding weight to certain areas, or by changing the shape of the object to increase the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. Another way to increase the second moment is by increasing the rotational speed of the object.

What are some real-world applications of increasing the second moment?

Increasing the second moment is important in many engineering and scientific fields. For example, in the design of buildings, engineers may increase the second moment of beams and columns to increase their strength and stability. This concept is also important in sports, such as gymnastics, where athletes must increase their second moment to perform more complex and difficult maneuvers.