How can we use induction to prove the generalized associative law?

In summary: So this is the induction hypothesis:Suppose that [if] for any ##k < n## that any [given] bracketing of the product of ##k## elements then ...Now we have to prove:Suppose that if ##k=n## that some given bracketing of the product then: ...It is part of our IF clause. We have some given bracketing of ##n## elements. In case it is of the form ##a_1(a_2(\ldots a_n)\ldots )## we are done. All other cases are of the form ##(a_1 \ldots a_k)(a_{k+1}\ldots
Mr Davis 97
I am trying to prove the generalized associative law with induction, but am being tripped up by one aspect. I am reading a solution and it says for the induction step argue that any bracketing of the product ##a_1 \cdot a_2 \cdot \cdots a_n## must break into two subproducts ##(a_1 \cdot \cdots \cdot a_k) \cdot (a_{k+1} \cdot \cdots \cdot a_n)## where each subproduct is bracketed in some fashion. Why is this true? As a concrete example, what are the subproducts of ##(a_1 \cdot (a_2 \cdot (a_3 \cdot a_4))) \cdot a_5##, where the first product as two elements and the second has three, for example?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I am trying to prove the generalized associative law with induction, but am being tripped up by one aspect. I am reading a solution and it says for the induction step argue that any bracketing of the product ##a_1 \cdot a_2 \cdot \cdots a_n## must break into two subproducts ##(a_1 \cdot \cdots \cdot a_k) \cdot (a_{k+1} \cdot \cdots \cdot a_n)## where each subproduct is bracketed in some fashion. Why is this true? As a concrete example, what are the subproducts of ##(a_1 \cdot (a_2 \cdot (a_3 \cdot a_4))) \cdot a_5##, where the first product as two elements and the second has three, for example?
It would help to see all the steps. Otherwise we can only repeat the proof.
We start with ##a_1(a_2a_3)=(a_1a_2)a_3##. Now how is the statement worded? ##a_1\ldots a_n## doesn't exist, yet.

fresh_42 said:
It would help to see all the steps. Otherwise we can only repeat the proof.
We start with ##a_1(a_2a_3)=(a_1a_2)a_3##. Now how is the statement worded? ##a_1\ldots a_n## doesn't exist, yet.
It says after proving the trivial base cases, suppose that for any ##k < n## that any bracketing of the product of ##k## elements can be reduced without altering the value to an expression of the form ##b_1 \cdot (b_2 \cdot (b_3 \cdot ( \cdots \cdot b_k)) \dots)##. Given this assumption we are supposed to argue that any bracketing of ##n## elements must break into two subproducts so that we can apply the induction assumption to each subproduct.

My problem is that I don't know how the breaking into two subproducts given any bracketing of ##n## elements in justified.

Mr Davis 97 said:
It says after proving the trivial base cases, suppose that for any ##k < n## that any bracketing of the product of ##k## elements can be reduced without altering the value to an expression of the form ##b_1 \cdot (b_2 \cdot (b_3 \cdot ( \cdots \cdot b_k)) \dots)##. Given this assumption we are supposed to argue that any bracketing of ##n## elements must break into two subproducts so that we can apply the induction assumption to each subproduct.

My problem is that I don't know how the breaking into two subproducts given any bracketing of ##n## elements in justified.
So this is the induction hypothesis:

Suppose that [if] for any ##k < n## that any [given] bracketing of the product of ##k## elements then ...

Now we have to prove:

Suppose that if ##k=n## that some given bracketing of the product then: ...

It is part of our IF clause. We have some given bracketing of ##n## elements. In case it is of the form ##a_1(a_2(\ldots a_n)\ldots )## we are done. All other cases are of the form ##(a_1 \ldots a_k)(a_{k+1}\ldots a_n)## with some bracketing of the two parts and ##1<k##. I assume we have commutativity, too, so we may assume ##k<n-1##, too. For the non commutative case, the expression ##a_1\ldots a_n## has to be explained, as e.g. in the case of functions. It is sloppy to write ##fg## and not mentioning whether ##g(f(x))## or ##f(g(x))## is meant. It's usually the latter, but purists prefer the first version.

Likes Mr Davis 97

What is the Generalized Associative Law?

The Generalized Associative Law is a fundamental mathematical concept that states that the order in which operations are performed on a set of numbers does not affect the final result. In other words, when performing multiple operations on a set of numbers, the grouping of the numbers does not change the outcome.

What is an example of the Generalized Associative Law?

An example of the Generalized Associative Law is the equation (a + b) + c = a + (b + c). This means that when adding three numbers together, the grouping of the numbers does not affect the final sum.

How is the Generalized Associative Law useful in mathematics?

The Generalized Associative Law is useful in mathematics because it allows for simplification and flexibility in solving equations. It also helps to establish a consistent set of rules for mathematical operations, making it easier to solve complex problems.

Is the Generalized Associative Law applicable to all mathematical operations?

Yes, the Generalized Associative Law is applicable to all mathematical operations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and even more complex operations such as exponents or logarithms.

Can the Generalized Associative Law be used with variables?

Yes, the Generalized Associative Law can be used with variables as it is a general rule that applies to all numbers and operations. It is often used in algebraic equations to simplify and rearrange terms.