How can you make a free body diagram for someone running then sliding?

In summary: However, as the object is accelerating, the friction force is also reducing, and eventually becomes zero.
amama
Let's say you are riding a bike very fast, and then you sharply turn into a slide (where the bike is sliding perfectly sideways).

bike sliding diagram.png

I'm trying to calculate the angle that the bike would be leaning at, but I'm having trouble creating the free body diagram.

Right now I have the normal force and friction force drawn where the wheels touch the ground. I also have the force from the weight drawn at the center of mass.

The approach I took is to calculate the torque around the wheel-contact point (pivot point) and set it equal to zero. However, right now, the only torque around the contact point is from the force of the weight, and there is nothing counteracting it, so the bike would fall. I would have guessed that the force of the friction would provide the force holding the bike up, but it doesn't provide any torque around the pivot point.

I'm guessing that I'm either missing a force or incorrectly locating the pivot point. Does anyone know where my error is?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the pivot point is the wheel, then that is accelerating. It's not a fixed point in any inertial reference frame. Instead, you could consider the torque about any fixed point on the ground.

Likes 256bits
PeroK said:
If the pivot point is the wheel, then that is accelerating. It's not a fixed point in any inertial reference frame. Instead, you could consider the torque about any fixed point on the ground.
Thanks for the response. I might need to dig out my textbook since I don't remember all the nuances of torque. But if I set the reference point on the ground, I still don't see where the force holding the weight up would come from. Wouldn't the torque from the friction force still always be zero?

I added a diagram.

You may be able to keep a brief balance between the braking effect of the sliding tires and the negative acceleration of the center of mass.
The vertical distance between the contact patches of the tires and the combined center of mass of the bike-rider induces a brief CCW moment in your case.

The rate of change of momentum is equivalent to a instantaneous force and subsequent moment.
If at all possible, that balance would be very brief and precarious.

{\displaystyle F={\frac {d(mv)}{dt}}=m{\frac {dv}{dt}}=ma,}

With not forward turning movement inducing a centrifugal force, the sliding bike and rider will hit the ground very quickly.

ImpishAridChick-size_restricted.gif

86409906.gif

R.gif

Last edited:
Likes 256bits
amama said:
Thanks for the response. I might need to dig out my textbook since I don't remember all the nuances of torque. But if I set the reference point on the ground, I still don't see where the force holding the weight up would come from. Wouldn't the torque from the friction force still always be zero?

I added a diagram.
Just to give you a different perspective.
Take a broom, or yardstick, and balance it on a finger.
Now let it tip over a bit.
How much acceleration should your finger have so that the broom does not fall completely over.

Likes PeroK and Lnewqban
Lnewqban said:
With not forward turning movement inducing a centrifugal force, the sliding bike and rider will hit the ground very quickly.

ImpishAridChick-size_restricted.gif

View attachment 293217

View attachment 293218
Another way to think of the problem would be to imagine someone doing the hockey stop on ice skates. They won't be vertical when they do it, instead they will be at an angle.

You can also do it rollerblading

Note that there must be sufficient friction between skates and ice to induce the negative deceleration.
The lean angle balances forces and moments during braking time in such a way that the line of direction of the resultant force passes through the center of mass of the skater and the edge of the skates.

From own experience with motorcycles I can tell you that lack of friction force puts you on the ground surprisingly quick.

Please, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_(physics)

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/impulse.html
nU4eQ.jpg

Last edited:
amama said:

I added a diagram.
Consider an object falling under gravity. Perhaps a rod of length ##l## falling in the horizontal position. The torque about one end of the rod would be ##mg\frac l 2##. Should the rod rotate due to that torque? But, equally, there is the same torque about the other end of the rod.

The resolution is that as the rod is accelerating, then the angular momentum about either end of the rod is increasing - a change in angular momentum does not imply rotation. In this case, the accelerating linear motion of the centre of mass represents a change in angular momentum about any point not on the vertical line through the centre of mass.

In your case, if the normal force is also ##mg##, then there is a torque and hence change in angular momentum about the point of contact. But, that change in angular momentum may represent the deceleration of the centre of mass about that point of contact - if the angle is just right.

PS although it is an unstable solution.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object or person in a given situation. It shows the magnitude and direction of each force, allowing for a better understanding of the overall forces at play.

2. How can you make a free body diagram for someone running then sliding?

To make a free body diagram for someone running then sliding, you would need to first identify all the forces acting on the person. These may include the force of gravity, the normal force from the ground, and the force of friction. Then, you would draw arrows to represent each force, with the length and direction of the arrow corresponding to the magnitude and direction of the force. Finally, you would label each force and indicate the direction of motion for the person.

3. Why is it important to make a free body diagram for someone running then sliding?

A free body diagram is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the forces at play in a given situation. In the case of someone running then sliding, it can help us determine the forces that may cause the person to slip or fall, and how to prevent or mitigate these forces.

4. Are there any limitations to using a free body diagram for someone running then sliding?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a free body diagram for someone running then sliding. It is a simplified representation of the forces at play and does not take into account other factors such as the person's weight, speed, or surface conditions. It is also important to note that the forces shown in the diagram may change as the person's motion changes.

5. Can a free body diagram be used for other movements or situations?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for any situation where there are forces acting on an object or person. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the forces involved in different types of motion, such as walking, jumping, or even more complex movements like flying or driving. It can also be used to analyze the forces involved in stationary objects, such as a book resting on a table.