How can you tell what will happen in a reaction?

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the solubility chart can be helpful in determining whether a given compound will dissolve in water or form a solid.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Okay, I need some guidance.

I've tried googling some answers to this question and nothing has really helped me. It's kind of a common sense question, perhaps?

However, my common sense of chemistry reactions is quite low. I am wondering if there is a trick to questions like these:

"Identify the solid formed from the reaction between Mg(NO3)2 and Na2SO4 in aqueous solution. Write ""no reaction"" if no precipitate is formed."

"Identify the solid formed from the reaction between BaS and PbNO3 in aqueous solution. Write ""no reaction"" if no precipitate is formed."

"Identify the solid formed from the reaction between MgCl2 and NH4OH in aqueous solution. Write ""no reaction"" if no precipitate is formed."

How do I go about answering these? My first step would be to write down the products and reactants in an equation, correct? But how do I KNOW if one is aq, l, g, s ?

Thanks for any tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you know whether given compounds are liquid, solid, or gas at room temperature don't you?

(I take it "aq" means "aqueous". I am surprised to see it in that list. "aqueous" here simply means that the reaction occurs in water. It is NOT a state of a product.)

Likes 1 person
You find a chart like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_chart and learn it.

Look for the common factors - like "all nitrates are soluble", and so are nearly all halides, except for silver and lead.

Likes 1 person
Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips in the right direction. I am going to begin my studies on this solubility chart. This is what we went over in our previous class. I will learn this and should have a better understanding of things. I will post back if I am lost on something.

Thank you, kindly.

In using this chart, I have failed.

"Identify the solid formed from the reaction between NaCl and AgNO3 in aqueous solution. Write ""no reaction"" if no precipitate is formed."

My answer: NaNO3

I figure, the equation is as follows:

NaCl + AgNO3 ---> NaNO3 + AgCl

According to the chart NaNO3 is soluble. So that means it will dissolve in water.
Whereas AgCl is insoluble meaning it will be the solid.

Is this the correct answer now? --> AgCl

RJLiberator said:
In using this chart, I have failed.

"Identify the solid formed from the reaction between NaCl and AgNO3 in aqueous solution. Write ""no reaction"" if no precipitate is formed."

My answer: NaNO3

I figure, the equation is as follows:

NaCl + AgNO3 ---> NaNO3 + AgCl

According to the chart NaNO3 is soluble. So that means it will dissolve in water.
Whereas AgCl is insoluble meaning it will be the solid.

Is this the correct answer now? --> AgCl
Yes.

Likes 1 person
Excellent. It looks like I am on the right track then. Thanks for the confirmation.

What factors determine the outcome of a reaction?

The outcome of a reaction is determined by a variety of factors, including the reactants, temperature, concentration, catalysts, and environmental conditions.

Can you predict the products of a chemical reaction?

Yes, it is possible to predict the products of a chemical reaction by understanding the properties of the reactants and using knowledge of chemical equations and reaction types.

How do you determine the rate of a reaction?

The rate of a reaction can be determined by measuring the change in concentration of a reactant or product over time. This can be done using techniques such as spectrophotometry or titration.

What role do catalysts play in a reaction?

Catalysts are substances that can speed up the rate of a reaction by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. They do not alter the products of the reaction.

Why is it important to understand the mechanism of a reaction?

Understanding the mechanism of a reaction allows scientists to predict the outcomes of similar reactions and design more efficient processes. It can also aid in troubleshooting and optimizing reaction conditions.