How do cameras focus on reflected images?

In summary, modern cameras use optical edge detecting algorithms to autofocus correctly on the part of the reflection selected in a mirror. This is because the light rays arriving at the camera lens or eye diverge in the same way as if the mirror was not present. Edge detection is the final step in the autofocus process, after a quick approximation is done with an infrared beam.
GeorgeV
I can remember from my distant school physics days that the image in a mirror lies beyond the mirror. But how does a modern camera sensor "know" this. If I face a mirror with my canon camera which has a cmos sensor and usm lens, it autofocuses correctly on the part of the reflection I select. Why does the sensor not see the mirror as a flat plane of light with varying degrees of intensity?. I have done multiple google searches and can't find an answer.
Any light on this subject appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Automatic cameras use optical edge detecting algorithms. When the edges are sharp the image is assumed to be in focus.

GeorgeV said:
Why does the sensor not see the mirror as a flat plane of light with varying degrees of intensity?

The same reason we don't see the mirror as a flat plane of light. The light rays (or waves) arriving at the camera lens or our eye diverge in exactly the same way as if we had removed the mirror and placed a (spatially-reversed) copy of the object in the space behind the mirror.

Doug Huffman said:
Automatic cameras use optical edge detecting algorithms. When the edges are sharp the image is assumed to be in focus.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Doug Huffman said:

Edge detection, to my understanding, is the "fine-tuning" step actually. Cameras often do a quick 'n dirty approximation with an infrared beam, and then follow it up with edge detection.

1. How does a camera focus on reflected images?

Cameras use a process called autofocus to focus on reflected images. This involves measuring the distance between the camera and the subject, and then adjusting the lens accordingly.

2. What is the role of the lens in focusing on reflected images?

The lens in a camera is responsible for bending and focusing light onto the camera's sensor. By adjusting the distance between the lens and the sensor, the camera can focus on different parts of the reflected image.

3. How does the camera determine what to focus on in a reflected image?

Most cameras have a built-in autofocus system that uses contrast detection or phase detection to determine the sharpest part of the image. Some cameras also have the ability to manually select a focus point.

4. What factors can affect the focus of a reflected image?

The focus of a reflected image can be affected by factors such as lighting conditions, distance between the camera and the subject, and the type of autofocus system being used. Additionally, the quality and type of lens being used can also impact the focus of the image.

5. Can cameras focus on multiple objects in a single reflected image?

Yes, most modern cameras have the ability to focus on multiple objects within a single image. This can be achieved by using different focus modes, such as automatic selection or manually selecting multiple focus points.