How do I calculate a "medium" jerk value of my motion data?

In summary, the individual is a psychologist studying physics and facing difficulties due to it not being their field of study. They are currently working on calculating the jerk of their 2D motion data for their study on biological motion. The individual has calculated velocity and acceleration per frame, but is struggling with calculating the overall jerk. They are also concerned about noise in their data. Suggestions for fitting the position data to a smooth function and questioning the significance of jerk in their study are given. The stimuli being used is biological motion with a specific pattern of acceleration.
Maria_Porto
I'm a psychologist and I'm currently studying physics but, because this is not my field of study, I'm having great difficulties.
I am currently studying biological motion and I have to calculate the jerk of my 2D motion data and I don't even know where to start. My data is basically a bunch of coordinates on the x and y-axis in time. I'll be using jerk as a measure of the "quantity of acceleration" of my stimuli. The aim is to compare the different jerk values of each of my stimulus (biological vs altered biological stimuli).
I have the velocity calculated per frame of my stimuli (i.e. I have a velocity value per time - because time is constant). I used this formula for calculating the velocity: =SQRT((X2-X1)^2+(Y2-Y1)^2)/1/60), where X1 is the initial position of the stimulus on the x-axis and X2 is the second position (and so on) and Y1 is the initial position of the Y axis and Y2 is the second position of the Y axis. This is data captured at 60Hz, thus, time variation is constant and is 1/60. Thus, I have the instantaneous velocity per frame calculated.

However, I want to calculate the "overall" jerk of my stimuli, kind of a "medium jerk"? How do I do that?
Any help would be truly important!

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Position, velocity, acceleration, and jerk are all vector quantities. That means that you keep the x and the y values separate. Usually written like this: ##(x,y)##

So velocity would be ##(x_1-x_0,y_1-y_0)/\Delta t##. So velocity is the change in position divided by the change in time. Similarly acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the change in time. And jerk is the change in acceleration...

Your main problem will be noise. This will make your noise levels skyrocket. You may not get useful values.

Likes Maria_Porto
Thank you very much!
I am currently working on that and I calculated velocity, acceleration and finally jerk (per frame). You're right, jerk values are huge! I guess my data has a lot of noise..

What you may need to do is to fit your position data to some smooth function that you can then use to calculate the jerk analytically.

Do you have any reason to believe that the jerk is a significant quantity for what are you doing?
By the way, jerk is not "quantity of acceleration". Like acceleration is not quantity of velocity.
Jerk shows how fast the acceleration changes. If it does change.
What are your stimuli, do you have anything moving at all?

Thank you for all the helps and corrections.

My stimuli is biological motion stimuli - yeah it moves and has a very specific pattern of acceleration.

:)

1. What is a "medium" jerk value and why is it important to calculate?

A "medium" jerk value refers to the rate of change of acceleration in a motion. It is important to calculate because it can help determine the smoothness and efficiency of a movement, and can be used in biomechanics and robotics to analyze and improve motion patterns.

2. How do I measure jerk in my motion data?

Jerk can be calculated by taking the third derivative of position with respect to time. In simpler terms, it is the rate of change of acceleration over time.

3. What units are used to measure jerk?

Jerk is typically measured in meters per second cubed (m/s^3) or feet per second cubed (ft/s^3).

4. Can jerk values be negative?

Yes, jerk values can be either positive or negative. A positive jerk value indicates an increase in acceleration, while a negative jerk value indicates a decrease in acceleration.

5. What is a normal range for jerk values?

The normal range for jerk values can vary depending on the type of movement and the individual's capabilities. Generally, jerk values for human motion range from 10-20 m/s^3, but can reach up to 100 m/s^3 for highly skilled athletes.