How do I calculate the work done against gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to calculating work done against gravity and gravitational potential energy in different scenarios. The first scenario involves a mass being pushed up a slope, while the second scenario involves a child climbing up a wall and then stepping off. The confusion arises from the fact that both questions ask for the same information, but they are asking for it in different ways. Ultimately, it is important to understand the relationship between work done against gravity and gravitational potential energy.
Molly1235
Ok, so I have a question for my first AS level assignment:

"A mass of 40kg is pushed up the slope shown opposite in 20 seconds (assume acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2". The slope is 5m, base 4m and height 3m.

It first asks to calculate the work done against gravity.

This confused me as obviously I can't use WD = Force * distance moved in direction of force as it is going the opposite way. So would I be right in thinking (as WD is energy transferred) that you would calculate GPE? (M*G*H)

I did 40 * 9.8 * 3 = 1176J

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Molly1235! :smile:

Yep. That's right.

Yay! Thank you for confirming! Although there is another question that asks the same thing (work done against gravity) and them asks for GPE which confused me...

"A child of mass 35kg climbs up a wall of height 2.5m and then steps off. Calculate or state (assume acceleration due to g 9.8):

a) work done against gravity by the child

b) GPE gained by the child

Are they not the same thing?

Molly1235 said:
Yay! Thank you for confirming! Although there is another question that asks the same thing (work done against gravity) and them asks for GPE which confused me...

"A child of mass 35kg climbs up a wall of height 2.5m and then steps off. Calculate or state (assume acceleration due to g 9.8):

a) work done against gravity by the child

b) GPE gained by the child

Are they not the same thing?

Yep. They are.
What's the confusion?

When the child climbs up she applies force against gravity for an amount of work equal the GPE gained.
When she steps off that GPE is converted to kinetic energy.

negatives of each other though, probably neg gpe

It just confused me that they'd have the same answer for 2 questions, but I guess it's just to make sure we know what we're doing...ok, thank you very much!

What is work done against gravity?

Work done against gravity is a measure of the amount of energy required to lift an object against the force of gravity. It is calculated by multiplying the force exerted on the object by the distance it is lifted.

How is work done against gravity related to potential energy?

Work done against gravity is directly related to potential energy. As an object is lifted against the force of gravity, its potential energy increases. The amount of work done against gravity is equal to the change in potential energy of the object.

What is the formula for calculating work done against gravity?

The formula for calculating work done against gravity is W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force exerted on the object, and d is the distance the object is lifted.

How does the angle of inclination affect work done against gravity?

The angle of inclination, or the angle at which an object is lifted, affects the amount of work done against gravity. The work done is greatest when the angle is 90 degrees, and decreases as the angle decreases. This is because less force is required to lift an object at a smaller angle.

What are some practical applications of work done against gravity?

Work done against gravity has many practical applications, such as lifting weights, climbing stairs, and operating cranes. It is also an important concept in fields such as engineering and physics, where it is used to calculate the amount of energy needed to lift objects or perform other tasks against gravity.