How do I complete this convergence proof?

In summary, if a subsequence of a Cauchy sequence converges, then so does the original Cauchy sequence.
alexmahone
Prove that if a subsequence of a Cauchy sequence converges then so does the original Cauchy sequence.

I'm assuming that we're not allowed to use the fact that every Cauchy sequence converges. Here's my attempt:

Let $\displaystyle\{s_n\}$ be the original Cauchy sequence. Let $\displaystyle \{s_{n_k}\}$ be the convergent subsequence.

Given $\epsilon>0$,

$\exists N_1\in\mathbb{N}$ such that $\displaystyle|s_n-s_m|<\frac{\epsilon}{2}$ whenever $n\ge N_1$ and $m\ge N_1$.

$\{s_{n_k}\}$ converges, say, to $L$.

So $\exists N_2\in\mathbb{N}$ such that $\displaystyle|s_{n_k}-L|<\frac{\epsilon}{2}$ whenever $k\ge N_2$.

$\displaystyle|s_n-L|=|s_n-s_{n_k}+s_{n_k}-L|\le |s_n-s_{n_k}|+|s_{n_k}-L|<\frac{\epsilon}{2}+\frac{\epsilon}{2}=\epsilon$ whenever $n\ge N_1$, $n_k\ge N_1$ and $k\ge N_2$.

How do I wrap up this proof by finding the $N$ such that $|s_n-L|<\epsilon$ holds whenever $n\ge N$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alexmahone,

It'll be useful to use the fact that for all $k\in \Bbb N$, $n_k \ge k$. Let $N = \max\{N_1,N_2\}$. If $n \ge N$, then $n\ge N_1$ and $n_N \ge N \ge N_1$, which implies $\lvert s_n - s_{n_N}\rvert < \epsilon/2$. Also, $n \ge N_2$ and $n_N \ge N \ge N_2$, so that $\lvert s_{n_N} - L\rvert < \epsilon/2$. Thus $\lvert s_n - L\rvert \le \lvert s_n - s_{n_N}\rvert + \lvert s_{n_N} - L\rvert < \epsilon/2 + \epsilon/2 = \epsilon$.

To complete the proof, we can choose $N = \max\{N_1, n_{N_2}\}$. Then, for any $n \geq N$, we have $n \geq N_1$ and $n_k \geq n_{N_2}$, so by the triangle inequality, we have
$$|s_n - L| \leq |s_n - s_{n_k}| + |s_{n_k} - L| < \frac{\epsilon}{2} + \frac{\epsilon}{2} = \epsilon.$$
Therefore, we have shown that for any $\epsilon > 0$, there exists $N \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $|s_n - L| < \epsilon$ for all $n \geq N$, which proves that the original Cauchy sequence $\{s_n\}$ converges to $L$.

1. How do I know where to start when completing a convergence proof?

When starting a convergence proof, it is important to first identify which type of convergence you are trying to prove (such as pointwise or uniform). You can then use the definition of convergence to guide your proof, and break it down into smaller steps. It may also be helpful to look at examples of completed convergence proofs to get a better understanding of the process.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when completing a convergence proof?

One common mistake in convergence proofs is assuming that the limit function is continuous. It is important to remember that the limit function may not necessarily be continuous, and to stick to the definition of convergence. Another mistake is using incorrect mathematical notation or making errors in algebraic manipulations. It is important to be precise and double check your work.

3. How do I know if my convergence proof is correct?

To ensure that your convergence proof is correct, you can check your work step by step and make sure that all statements and conclusions are logically connected. Additionally, you can use the definition of convergence to see if your proof satisfies all necessary conditions. It may also be helpful to have someone else review your proof for any errors or inconsistencies.

4. What are some tips for writing a clear and concise convergence proof?

A clear and concise convergence proof should include all necessary steps and details, but avoid excessive or unnecessary explanations. It is important to use proper mathematical notation and clearly label each step in the proof. Additionally, it is helpful to organize your proof in a logical and easy-to-follow manner, with each step building upon the previous one.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with completing a convergence proof?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with completing a convergence proof. You can refer to textbooks, online tutorials or videos, or seek help from a professor or tutor. It may also be helpful to work on practice problems or examples to improve your understanding and skills in completing convergence proofs.