How do I describe dividing fractions using pies

• Thread starter mr magoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation discussed using pie analogies to explain multiplication, division, adding and subtracting fractions, and multiplying fractions. However, the group got stuck on how to use a pie analogy for dividing fractions. One member suggested thinking of dividing fractions as a purely multiplication problem, where the division sign is replaced by a fraction. This approach helped understand why invert and multiply works in dividing fractions. Another member mentioned that for fraction arithmetic, it is only necessary to focus on addition and multiplication, as subtraction and division can be defined in terms of addition of the additive inverse and multiplication by the reciprocal.
mr magoo
Here is what I have written down for describing math from multiplication up to dividing fractions, and as you see I can use pies to help describing the math but for dividing fractions I get stuck with how to use a pie analogy.

Here is what I have wriote to describe math using pie analogy below;

multiplication

division

adding and subtracting fractions

The total pieces of pie in both divisions must share the pieces per pie value.

Once the pieces per pie value is the same between the two divisions,
add or subtract the total pieces of pie from the two divisions.

2/1 + 2/2 = (2/1 * 2/2 = 4/2) + 2/2 = 6/2
5/3 - 4/5 = (5/3 * 5/5 = 25/15) - (4/5 * 3/3 = 12/15) = 13/15

multiplying fractions

1/1 * 3/4 = 3/4

3/3 * 1/3 = 3/9

dividing fractions

2/7 / 1/2 = 2/7 * 2/1 = 4/7

4/7 * 1/2 = 4/14 = 2/7

5/8 / 3/4 = 5/8 * 4/3 = 20/24 = 5/6

5/6 * 3/4 = 15/24 = 5/8

Mathematics news on Phys.org
And I'm learning from online resources and am self teaching myself using the khanacadamy and mathtutordvd but they don't explain this well enough for me to use a pie analogy.

OK, I have watched more of the mathtutordvd and saw how the fraction makes the fraction smaller, then realized the multiplied fraction when dividing fractions is larger than 1/1, so the multiplication makes the product a larger fraction.

Here is the new text below, note I updated the dividing fractions part with this new knowledge;

multiplication

division

adding and subtracting fractions

The total pieces of pie in both divisions must share the pieces per pie value.

Once the pieces per pie value is the same between the two divisions,
add or subtract the total pieces of pie from the two divisions.

2/1 + 2/2 = (2/1 * 2/2 = 4/2) + 2/2 = 6/2
5/3 - 4/5 = (5/3 * 5/5 = 25/15) - (4/5 * 3/3 = 12/15) = 13/15 multiplying fractions

1/1 * 3/4 = 3/4

3/3 * 1/3 = 3/9
dividing fractions
1/2 = pieces per pie
4/7 = total number of pies

in 2/7 * 2/1, the 2/1 is representing 2/7.
and 2/1 is twice as big as 1/1.
so the answer of twice as big as 2/7 is 4/7.

How it works in pie description is using multiplication.
pieces per pie * total number of pies = total number of pieces
4/7 = total number of pies
1/2 = pieces per pie
2/7 = total number of pieces

this way division explains multiplication, then multiplication explains division.

2/7 / 1/2 = 2/7 * 2/1 = 4/7

4/7 * 1/2 = 4/14 = 2/7

5/6 * 3/4 = 15/24 = 5/8

from division;
total number of pieces / pieces per pie = total number of pies
5/8 = total number of pieces
3/4 = pieces per pie
5/6 = total number of pies

from multiplication.
pieces per pie * total number of pies = total number of pieces
5/6 = total number of pies
3/4 = pieces per pie
5/8 = total number of pieces

Trying to use an analogy of a pie for all arithmetic operations seems like a stretch to me, especially when you come to, divisions such as (2/7)/(1/2). What does "1/2 = pieces per pie" even mean?

An analogy is a device that is used to make some more abstract idea easier to understand, but if it's difficult to comprehend the analogy, then some other analogy should be found.

What you quoted "pieces per pie" was from earlier descriptions that I used there to show how dividing fractions fit into the earlier descriptions analogies.

I will work on the math some more and see if I can get a better analogy to describe what I tried to describe before.

I don't know if this hinders or helps, I define division of fractions as a purely multiplication problem:
[itex]\frac{2}{7}[/itex] divided by [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] is the fraction: [itex]\frac{\frac{2}{7}}{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

keeping in mind [itex]\frac{2}{2}[/itex] is equal to 1.

I find a fraction that multiplied by the large fraction's denominator equals 1, in this case [itex]\frac{2}{1}[/itex]

I now have the resultant multiplication operation of:

[itex]\left(\frac{\frac{2}{1}}{\frac{2}{1}}\right) \left(\frac{\frac{2}{7}}{\frac{1}{2}}\right)[/itex]

Since the first fraction is equal to 1, the value of the result does not change:

[itex]\frac{\left(\frac{2}{1}\right)\left(\frac{2}{7}\right)}{\left(\frac{2}{1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)}[/itex]

performing the multiplication in the numerator and denominator the result is:

[itex]\frac{\frac{4}{7}}{1}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{4}{7}[/itex] and this is why invert and multiply works...

Thanks for that. I'm still learning the basic of math.

For fraction arithmetic, you can focus only on addition and multiplication. Subtraction and division are defined in terms of addition of the additive inverse (the negative of a fraction) and multiplication by the reciprocal.

IOW, ##a/b - c/d = a/b + (-c/d)##, and
##a/b \div c/d = a/b ~\cdot ~1/(c/d) = a/b ~\cdot ~d/c##

I don't think 2/7 divided by 1/2 is that different from something like 20/4. We need to know how many times 1/2 a pie goes into 2/7 of a pie. We've cut the pie into halves and sevenths, but it's not too easy to compare them just yet, so we can cut it into fourtheenths instead. Thus we have 2/7 represented by 4 slices of the pie that's cut into fourteenths, and the 1/2 is represented by 7 slices. 7 slices "go into" 4 slices 4/7 times.

Algebraically, we just did $$2/7\div 1/2=4/14\div 7/14=4/7.$$ I think coolul007's method should be used as well, but considering that maybe the majority of students (American, at least) never learn fraction arithmetic, there's nothing wrong with seeing it in as many ways as possible.

Maybe this will help someone some time.

2[itex]\div[/itex]2=1

2[itex]\div[/itex]2= 2 [itex]\div[/itex] [itex]\frac{2}{1}[/itex]=1

2[itex]\div[/itex]2 =2 [itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]=1

A proof for why fractions are divided by multipling the reciporicals is floating on the outskirts of realization for me...

Related to How do I describe dividing fractions using pies

1. What is the concept of dividing fractions using pies?

The concept of dividing fractions using pies is a visual representation of dividing a whole into equal parts. A pie is used to represent the whole and is divided into the number of parts indicated by the denominator of the fraction. The number of parts shaded or filled in represents the numerator of the fraction.

2. How do I divide fractions using pies?

To divide fractions using pies, you start by drawing a pie to represent the whole. Then, divide the pie into the number of parts indicated by the denominator of the fraction. Next, shade or fill in the number of parts indicated by the numerator. The remaining parts of the pie represent the answer to the division problem.

3. Can you provide an example of dividing fractions using pies?

Sure, let's say we want to divide 3/4 by 1/2 using pies. First, we draw a pie to represent the whole. Then, divide it into 4 equal parts since the denominator of the first fraction is 4. Next, shade in 3 of the 4 parts to represent 3/4. Then, we draw another pie and divide it into 2 equal parts since the denominator of the second fraction is 2. Finally, we shade in 1 of the 2 parts to represent 1/2. The remaining shaded part represents the answer, which is 3/2 or 1 1/2.

4. How is dividing fractions using pies helpful?

Dividing fractions using pies can be helpful because it provides a visual representation of the concept, making it easier to understand and remember. It also allows for a better understanding of equivalent fractions and the relationship between the numerator and denominator in a fraction.

5. Are there any other methods for dividing fractions besides using pies?

Yes, there are other methods for dividing fractions such as using the "keep, change, flip" rule or converting the fractions to decimals and dividing them. However, using pies is a helpful method for visual learners or those who have difficulty understanding traditional division methods.