How do I know which one is the limiting reactant?

• Thread starter physics=world
  • Start date
In summary: So far you've been doing the calculations and not really considering what happened in the actual experiment.In summary, on day 2 of the lab, you mixed K2CrO4 and AgNO3 together. K2CrO4 was used up more than AgNO3, so AgNO3 must be the limiting reactant.
physics=world
I am doing step number 9 to determine the limiting reactant for this lab.

http://www.lahc.edu/classes/chemistry/arias/Exp%204%20-%20Limiting%20RF11.pdf

Basically I have two vials labeled A and B filled with filtrate that is yellow.

For vial A, I added 10 drops of 0.2 M K2CrO4, but nothing happened. The color stayed the same.

For vial B, I added 10 drops of 0.1 M AgNO3, and the whole thing turned red.

I am thinking since AgNO3 made the filtrate turn red then it is the limiting reactant, but I am not sure.

Can somebody help me?

Furthermore, when I do the math the grams of AgNO3 is always bigger than K2CrO4.

I am wondering if it is possible for the limiting reactant to weigh more (in grams) than the excess reactant?

Homework Equations

Finding the weight of the limiting and excess reactant:

The precipitate (Ag2CrO4) that forms weights 0.193 g and the moles are 5.82 x 10^-4 mol.

Finding for mass for AgNO3:

(5.82 x 10^-4 mol Ag2CrO4) (2 mol AgNO3 / 1 mol Ag2CrO4) (169.872 g AgNO3 / 1 mol AgNO3)

= 0.198 g AgNO3

Finding for mass for K2CrO4:

(5.82 x 10^-4 mol Ag2CrO4) (1 mol K2CrO4 / 1 mol Ag2CrO4) (194.188 g K2CrO4 / 1 mol K2CrO4)

= 0.113 g K2CrO4

AgNO3 always comes out bigger than K2CrO4. So is it possible for AgNO3 to be the limiting reactant?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use stochiometry to figure out which is the limiting reactant - it's the one that got completely used up.

I used stoichmetery beginning with the moles of the precipitate, and found the grams of both reactant. AgNO3 will always be larger than K2CrO4

the grams of both reactant. AgNO3 will always be larger than K2CrO4
This statement does not make a lot of sense. When the reaction has stopped, one of the reactants should have been used up completely.
i.e. there should be zero grams of one of them. So what did you just calculate - precisely?

I think you have another step to do. The thought process is something like this:
How much of each reactant did you mix together?
How many of each atom does that give you?
What is the maximum number of the product molecule this can make?
Which reactant decides what this last number is?

Note:
You found the amount of each reactant. ("grams" is a unit of mass - the amount of substance)

Last edited:
On step 2 of the lab work of day 2 it said use stoichiometry to find the mass which I did and got:

0.198 g AgNO3

Then I used stoichiometry to find the mass of the other reactant which is:

0.113 g K2CrO4

Would these be the starting amounts I mixed together?

Note:
I use the value of the product (Ag2CrO4 = 0.193 g) to find the mass of AgNO3.

Would these be the starting amounts I mixed together?
Where did you get the numbers from? Did you get the from the starting amounts?
i.e. is that how much of each reactant is in the 10 drops?

If you had worked out final amounts, one of them would be zero right?
So they are probably starting amounts - the thing is: you should know - you are the one who did the math.

The reactants are the two things in the vial together.
You are adding K2CrO4 to AgNO3
You get Ag2CrO4 (and some other stuff.)

How many of each reactant goes to make one molecule of the product?
If there were 100x more K2CrO4 than AgNO3, then the AgNO3 would be the limiting reactant right?

What is the quantity that tells you the number of each molecule you added?

Simon Bridge said:
Where did you get the numbers from? Did you get the from the starting amounts?

To get the starting amount of the precipitate I had to go through the heating and boiling the substances portion then I waited to filter out the precipitate after it was done boiling.

Then, I weighted the precipitate which was Ag2CrO4 = 0.193 g

and with that value I had to find the mass of the limiting reactant. Which I would choose which is the limiting reactant by the experiment oberservation:

"""For vial A, I added 10 drops of 0.2 M K2CrO4, but nothing happened. The color stayed the same.

For vial B, I added 10 drops of 0.1 M AgNO3, and the whole thing turned red.""""

The thing is if I do the math to see how much of the product (KNO3) formed I would get the same value using the starting amount of the reactants. I thought one of the values is supposed to be lower than the other.

Well yeah - one of the reactants is used up. Though in some cases the concentration just drps so low the recation no longer happens.

You have to use your understanding of the experiment to figure out which one that was.

The difference between the two vials is important of course. Describe that step more carefully.
All this discussion is aimed at getting you to think about how the experiment was supposed to work.

Simon Bridge said:
Though in some cases the concentration just drps so low the recation no longer happens.

I think that's why the math is coming out the why it is and why the amount of product that form is the same value for either starting amount of reactant I use.

So, the only way in this experiment to figure out which is the limiting reactant is by the experiment observation.

"""For vial A, I added 10 drops of 0.2 M K2CrO4, but nothing happened. The color stayed the same.

For vial B, I added 10 drops of 0.1 M AgNO3, and the whole thing turned red.""""

Since, the 0.1 M AgNO3 reacted it must have been limiting. I'm thinking that the K2CrO4 did not react because it was in excess.

Because your product is a red precipitate?
Ergo, no red no reaction (or very little reaction).

Since, the 0.1 M AgNO3 reacted it must have been limiting. I'm thinking that the K2CrO4 did not react because it was in excess.
Excess or not occurs after the reaction not before.
What is stopping the reaction from happening in the second case?
http://chemistry.about.com/od/examp...-Limiting-Reactant-Of-A-Chemical-Reaction.htm

1. How do I determine the limiting reactant in a chemical reaction?

The limiting reactant in a chemical reaction is the substance that is completely consumed and limits the amount of product that can be formed. To determine the limiting reactant, you can compare the amount of moles or mass of each reactant and use stoichiometry to calculate the theoretical yield of product for each. The reactant with the smaller theoretical yield is the limiting reactant.

2. Can I use the molar ratio to determine the limiting reactant?

Yes, the molar ratio can be used to determine the limiting reactant. This is because the molar ratio represents the ratio of moles of reactants and products in a balanced chemical equation. By comparing the molar ratio of each reactant to the amount of each reactant present, you can determine which reactant will be completely consumed first.

3. What if the reactants have different units of measurement?

If the reactants have different units of measurement, you will need to convert them to the same unit before determining the limiting reactant. This can be done by using conversion factors based on the molar mass of each substance. Once the units are the same, you can use the same method of comparing moles or mass to determine the limiting reactant.

4. How does the limiting reactant affect the yield of the reaction?

The limiting reactant directly affects the yield of the reaction because it determines the maximum amount of product that can be formed. If the limiting reactant is completely consumed, the reaction will stop and the yield will be limited to the amount of product that can be formed from that reactant. This is why it is important to identify the limiting reactant in order to accurately predict the yield of a reaction.

5. Can there be more than one limiting reactant in a reaction?

Yes, it is possible for there to be more than one limiting reactant in a reaction. This can occur when there are multiple reactants that are consumed in a 1:1 ratio or when a single reactant is involved in multiple reactions. In these cases, it is important to determine the limiting reactant for each reaction and use the lowest yield to calculate the overall yield of the reaction.