How do I visualize the magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to visualize and demonstrate the drop in magnetic field intensity around a transformer at various distances. The suggestion is to create a 2D aerial view with a color gradient representing the measured values. Other suggestions include using 3D plots in Excel and considering the orientation of the maximum field at each measurement point. The purpose of this visualization is to assure the customer that the magnetic field at a nearby building is not at harmful levels.
Sketchy
TL;DR Summary
Need to visualize how the magnetic field around a transformer drops in intensity (mikro tesla) depending on the distance from it using real measured values.
Hi!

So my question is this, I have done measurements with an magnetic field meter around a transformer from 0.5 meter away (then measure some points around) and then I moved out 0.5 meters and so on until I reached a nearby building.

So my issue now is I want to visualize this to my customer in an easy way, I'm thinking like a 2D "aerial" view with the transformer in the middle and red/green gradient moving out depending on the value from my measuring device at that point. Is there any software that does this or do you have any other suggestions on how I can show this?
(The purpose is to show that the magnetic field at the nearby building is not an any harmful levels)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Sketchy said:
TL;DR Summary: Need to visualize how the magnetic field around a transformer drops in intensity (mikro tesla) depending on the distance from it using real measured values.

So my issue now is I want to visualize this to my customer in an easy way
Are you familiar with the different options for making 3D plots in Excel? You can do a search to see the different styles that are available...

Also, I'm assuming that these are 50/60Hz AC Mains fields, right? Did you record the orientation of the maximum field at each measurement point as well?

1667496754658.png

Likes topsquark

1. How do I use a compass to visualize the magnetic field?

To use a compass to visualize the magnetic field, hold the compass flat and parallel to the surface of the Earth. The needle of the compass will align with the Earth's magnetic field lines, giving you a visual representation of the direction and strength of the magnetic field in that location.

2. Can I use iron filings to visualize the magnetic field?

Yes, iron filings can be used to visualize the magnetic field. Sprinkle the filings on a piece of paper or a flat surface, and then place a magnet underneath. The filings will align with the magnetic field lines, giving you a visual representation of the field's direction and strength.

3. How can I visualize the magnetic field of a bar magnet?

To visualize the magnetic field of a bar magnet, you can use a compass or iron filings as mentioned above. You can also use a magnetic viewing film, which is a thin film coated with tiny magnetic particles that align with the magnetic field lines when placed near a magnet.

4. Is there a way to visualize the magnetic field in 3D?

Yes, there are several ways to visualize the magnetic field in 3D. One way is to use a 3D magnetic field viewer, which uses a combination of magnets and iron filings to create a 3D representation of the field. Another way is to use computer software, such as a 3D magnetic field simulator, to create a visual representation of the field.

5. How can I visualize the magnetic field of a current-carrying wire?

To visualize the magnetic field of a current-carrying wire, you can use a compass or iron filings as mentioned above. You can also use a magnetic field sensor, which is a device that can measure and display the strength and direction of the magnetic field produced by the current in the wire.