How Do Jane and Terry Divide 10.35 Miles of Treadmill Exercise in 3.5 Hours?

• MHB
  • Thread starter DawnC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, Jane walked at a rate of 4.9 miles per hour and Terry walked at a rate of 4.5 miles per hour. Together, they walked a total distance of 10.35 miles in 3.5 hours. To find how long each person spent on their treadmill, you can set up the following equations:Jane: distance = 4.9t, time = tTerry: distance = 4.5t, time = tThen, using the fact that their total distance is 10.35 miles, we can write the equation:4.9t + 4.5t = 10.35Simplifying, we get:
DawnC
This problem has me stumped

Jane and Terry used two different treadmills to exercise. The total distance waled between them was 10.35 miles. Jane waled at a pace of 4.9 per hour and Terry walked the pace of 4.5 per hour. Their total time as 3.5 hours.

This is how I would set it up, but not sure if it is correct

Jane - Rate = x, Time = 1, Distance = 4.9
Terry - Rate = x, time = 1, Distance = 4.5

After this - if this set-up is correct - I get lost in what to do next...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am also lost as to what to do next, because there is no question mark in your post... can you post the entire problem?

Bacterius said:
I am also lost as to what to do next, because there is no question mark in your post... can you post the entire problem?

Sorry - The question is : How long did each person spend on their treadmill?

Distances are in miles and time is in hours.

For Jane we have:

\(\displaystyle d_J=4.9t_J\)

And for Terry we have:

\(\displaystyle d_T=4.5t_T\)

We are also given:

\(\displaystyle d_J+d_T=10.35\)

\(\displaystyle t_J+t_T=3.5\)

You can use the latter two equations to express both of the first two equations in terms of one person. At this point you will have two equations and two unknowns...can you proceed?

Thank you

Related to How Do Jane and Terry Divide 10.35 Miles of Treadmill Exercise in 3.5 Hours?

What is the significance of "Stumped" in the title?

The word "stumped" refers to the feeling of being physically and mentally challenged, as well as the struggle to find motivation and push through obstacles during exercise. It also plays on the phrase "stumping for exercise", which refers to promoting or advocating for physical activity.

Who are Jane and Terry?

Jane and Terry are two individuals who participated in a 10.35 mile exercise. They could be friends, family members, or colleagues, but their identities are not specified as the focus is on the exercise itself.

Why is the exercise 10.35 miles specifically?

The distance of 10.35 miles is likely chosen to represent a challenging and significant distance for most individuals. It is not too short to be considered easy, but not too long to be unattainable for those who are physically fit. It also allows for a measurable and trackable goal for Jane and Terry to strive towards.

What type of exercise is being referred to in the title?

The type of exercise is not specified, but it could be any form of physical activity that involves covering a distance of 10.35 miles. This could include running, biking, swimming, or hiking.

Is there a specific purpose or goal for "Stumped: Jane and Terry's 10.35 Mile Exercise"?

The purpose and goal of this exercise is not explicitly stated, but it could be to promote physical fitness and challenge oneself, or to raise awareness for a cause or charity. It could also simply be a personal goal for Jane and Terry to achieve.