How Do Related Rates Apply to Moving Objects in Differential Calculus?

In summary, the concept of related rates in differential calculus involves finding the rate of change between two variables at a specific time. In kinematics, this can be applied to determine the rate of change of the distance between two objects, given their initial distance and constant rates of movement. However, the relative speeds and direction of movement must also be considered in order to accurately calculate the rate of change. In some cases, the relative speed may not be constant, resulting in a more complex problem.
nDever
Hi Guys,

I have a general question (not necessarily a homework question) about the concept of related rates in differential calculus.

Most related rates problems present to you a question that generally asks,

After x time has elapsed,
or
At t= __,

what is the rate of change between __ and __?

Suppose I have a related rates problems involving kinematics.

At noon, object A is __units away from object B. Object A is moving in an opposite direction away from object B. Object A is moving at a constant rate of __units and object B is moving at a constant rate of __units.

After 4 hours, what is the rate of change of the distance between object A and B.

I am content with the premise. What captures my interest is the question.

If two objects are both moving opposite one another at a constant speed, wouldn't the distance between them be changing at a constant speed as well? Why would the derivative of the distance between the objects with respect to time be different after any time?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I see rate in kinematics, I automatically think of acceleration. Different accelerations, different derivitives.

nDever said:
Hi Guys,

I have a general question (not necessarily a homework question) about the concept of related rates in differential calculus.

Most related rates problems present to you a question that generally asks,

After x time has elapsed,
or
At t= __,

what is the rate of change between __ and __?

Suppose I have a related rates problems involving kinematics.

At noon, object A is __units away from object B. Object A is moving in an opposite direction away from object B. Object A is moving at a constant rate of __units and object B is moving at a constant rate of __units.

After 4 hours, what is the rate of change of the distance between object A and B.

I am content with the premise. What captures my interest is the question.

If two objects are both moving opposite one another at a constant speed, wouldn't the distance between them be changing at a constant speed as well? Why would the derivative of the distance between the objects with respect to time be different after any time?

Yes, it would. However, one thing that is missing is the statement what the speeds are measure relative to. If you are saying that A is moving with velocity v relative to B then B must be moving with velocity -v relative to A. On the other hand if you are saying that B is moving with speed v1 relative to some third point, C, and that A is moving at speed v2 relative to C, then A and B are moving (ignoring relativity!) at speed v1+ v2 relative to each other.

The way you state it, "moving opposite one another", that's not a very interesting question for exactly the reason you state- the relative speed is constant.

A more interesting question would be "If B is moving with speed v1 due east relative to C and A is moving with speed v2 due west relative to C, how fast is A moving relative to C?"

Now, the distance between A and C is given by a quadratic equation (the Pythagorean theorem) and the relative speed is not constant.

Related to How Do Related Rates Apply to Moving Objects in Differential Calculus?

1. What is the concept of related rates?

The concept of related rates is a mathematical concept that deals with the relationship between two or more changing quantities. It involves finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity, when both quantities are changing at the same time.

2. How is the concept of related rates used in real life?

The concept of related rates is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the rate of change of water level in a swimming pool, the growth rate of a plant, or the speed of a moving object. It is also used in various engineering and scientific fields to solve problems involving changing quantities.

3. What are some common strategies for solving related rates problems?

Some common strategies for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, identifying the given and unknown quantities, and setting up an equation using the chain rule to relate the rates of change. It is also important to pay attention to units and to remember to take the derivative of both sides of the equation.

4. What is the difference between implicit differentiation and related rates?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of an implicitly defined function, while related rates deals specifically with finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity. Implicit differentiation is used to solve related rates problems, but it can also be applied to other types of problems involving derivatives.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems include forgetting to take the derivative of both sides of the equation, not paying attention to units, and using the wrong formula for finding the rate of change. It is also important to carefully read the problem and make sure all given information is accounted for in the equation.