How do we know electromagnetic waves are light?

In summary: EM? In summary, Maxwell's equations show that light is an electromagnetic wave, but it is not sufficient to say that it is also light.
lightarrow said:
And in these phenomena visible light is red-shifted to radio waves or radio waves are blue-shifted to visible light, as I was asking?

It almost has in the CMB. The CMB has been redshifted from the visible to the microwave region.

To elaborate a bit on what Russ was saying, we know that we can doppler shift visible light into IR. We also know that we can shift IR into microwaves. And microwaves into radio waves. So if A = B = C = D, then A = D.

lightarrow said:
It generates light by making electrons oscillate. So light must be an electromagnetic wave.
Of course electrons "oscillate" in a sense even when atoms emit light when they undergo a transition from an excited level to the fundamental one (for example) but I don't consider this as a real "prove" that making a charge oscillate at high frequency it generates light, we only have indirect informations that this can be considered as an actual oscillation of the charges, AFAIK.

This isn't correct. Electrons in a free electron laser don't occupy atomic or molecular orbitals, and so can't undergo transitions between energy levels. They directly oscillate back and forth in a vacuum and emit anything from microwaves up through x-rays. I can't think of a better example supporting the idea that visible light is identical to the rest of the EM spectrum except for its wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
lightarrow said:
I sincerely don't understand answers like this. The question is simple
"how do we know it? ". Nothing else than this.
Is this your own question? I'm not comfortable assuming you're correctly interpreting the OP's question.

lightarrow said:
I sincerely don't understand answers like this...

light is "em radiation" . The question is: "how do we know it? ". Nothing else than this.
[emphasis added]
DaveC426913 said:
Is this your own question? I'm not comfortable assuming you're correctly interpreting the OP's question.
...it would have helped a lot if the question in the OP/title wasn't written backwards (he corrected it in his second swing). But yeah, there are still multiple ways to interpret it, which the OP hasn't further clarified. I do think the history question interpretation is most likely though.

Drakkith said:
It almost has in the CMB. The CMB has been redshifted from the visible to the microwave region.
I know but it's irrelevant because I asked about an experimental evidence. We only infer this (from a lot of things so I have no doubt it's true) but it's not done in a laboratory. Don't know if it's clear, I'm not stating that we can't do it (now or in the future) I just asked for experimental evidence.
To elaborate a bit on what Russ was saying, we know that we can doppler shift visible light into IR. We also know that we can shift IR into microwaves. And microwaves into radio waves. So if A = B = C = D, then A = D.
Ok, that's much more satisfying :smile: because I didn't know the part IR --> microwaves. By the way, how can we do it in laboratory?
This isn't correct. Electrons in a free electron laser don't occupy atomic or molecular orbitals, and so can't undergo transitions between energy levels...
No, you haven't understood what I intended, my fault probably: I was making a comparison between electrons in a FEL and electrons in an atom: in a FEL, I can say charges (the electrons) do oscillates, because we force them to do it with that specifically designed apparatus; instead, for electrons in an atom which emits light because of a transition from an higher to a lower energy level, I couldn't confidently say "electrons oscillate during the transition", (even if it could perhaps be true in some unusual sense), so for this reason, a FEL, in my opinion, is one of the best examples I know where we can say "visible light = electromagnetic radiation". But I could be wrong.
Regards.

--
lightarrow

lightarrow said:
I know but it's irrelevant because I asked about an experimental evidence. We only infer this (from a lot of things so I have no doubt it's true) but it's not done in a laboratory. Don't know if it's clear, I'm not stating that we can't do it (now or in the future) I just asked for experimental evidence.

Then no, as far as I know no one has redshifted visible light all the way to radio waves in an experiment here on Earth.

lightarrow said:
Ok, that's much more satisfying :smile: because I didn't know the part IR --> microwaves. By the way, how can we do it in laboratory?

Get an IR source that emits near the edge of the IR/microwave border and bounce it off of a moving object. But that border is entirely arbitrary. We could move it 10 GHz up or down if we wanted to. Or any other amount. Or do away with it completely and just call everything in the EM spectrum by the same name.

lightarrow said:
No, you haven't understood what I intended, my fault probably: I was making a comparison between electrons in a FEL and electrons in an atom: in a FEL, I can say charges (the electrons) do oscillates, because we force them to do it with that specifically designed apparatus; instead, for electrons in an atom which emits light because of a transition from an higher to a lower energy level, I couldn't confidently say "electrons oscillate during the transition", (even if it could perhaps be true in some unusual sense), so for this reason, a FEL, in my opinion, is one of the best examples I know where we can say "visible light = electromagnetic radiation". But I could be wrong.

Understood. :smile:

Dave, my question was answered when George answered it and I replied back to him. So I don't have to explain much more. His post helped.

Likes russ_watters
mk9898 said:
Per the Maxwell equations, we know that em waves travel at the velocity of light, but that is not a sufficient condition to say that electromagnetic waves are light. How do we know that electromagnetic waves are light? They could just be something that has the same velocity as light.

Any insight is appreciated.

EM waves are 'energy' in a basic form. I am assuming that the unfiltered full spectrum of EM waves which come from the sun, for example, are the 'EM Waves' to which you are referring. When EM waves strike some 'thing' they are either absorbed, reflected or pass through that object; or, some combination of those interactions. When the portion of those reflected waves are of a wavelength which falls in the 'visual range' they illuminate that object and it is interpreted by our vision as a specific color. It could be said that at-that-point of reflection those particular waves become the 'light' that we physiologically perceive. Instruments have been developed which can 'see' or 'perceive' in some manner every wavelength in the 'electromagnetic spectrum. When the wavelength of EM waves drops into the wavelengths within 1 millimeter to 100 kilometers or frequencies within 300 GHz to 3 kHz they are the modulated 'radio waves' that carry the information which radios transceive into the lower energy frequencies that fall within the 'audible spectrum' wavelengths that we hear. So, yes EM energy is 'light' and it is not just symantics to call it that, even though you can only 'see' part of the spectrum.

Your question seems to imply that you think there could be 'something else' other than the EM spectrum which has the same wavelengths and speed. I couldn't even speculate as to why we wouldn't be able to percieve or detect that phenomanon with current technology. Intellectually that hypothesis is a non sequitur.

SWB123 said:
EM waves are 'energy' in a basic form.

Energy is a property of things, not a thing itself. EM waves also have momentum and angular momentum. Why don't you say then that EM waves are 'momentum' in a basic form?

Likes davenn and russ_watters