How Do You Calculate Bicarbonate Levels in Respiratory Disorders?

• Thread starter cbrons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Format
In summary, the expected bicarbonate level in someone with a respiratory acidosis will be higher than in someone with a respiratory alkalosis, and the difference is due to the difference in the levels of HCO3-.
cbrons

Homework Statement

Trying to create an equation to calculate the expected bicarbonate level given a respiratory acidosis or alkalosis (this is purely a math question, though).

I am not sure if my equations are in the right format in terms of the order of operations and use of brackets, etc.

Homework Equations

The laws are:The [HCO3-] will increase by 4 mmol/l for every 10 mmHg increase in PaCO2 above 40mmHg.
The [HCO3-] will decrease by 5 mmol/l for every 10 mmHg decrease in pCO2 below 40 mmHg.

By the way "24" comes from the midpoint of the normal value of HCO3-.

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2015-8-21_15-12-2.png
Do these equations look correct to you given the rules outlined? Particularly the subtraction for alkalosis (24- and 40 - PaCO2 as opposed to PaCO2 - 40 in the above example).

Physics news on Phys.org
cbrons said:

Homework Statement

Trying to create an equation to calculate the expected bicarbonate level given a respiratory acidosis or alkalosis (this is purely a math question, though).

I am not sure if my equations are in the right format in terms of the order of operations and use of brackets, etc.

Homework Equations

The laws are:The [HCO3-] will increase by 4 mmol/l for every 10 mmHg increase in PaCO2 above 40mmHg.
The [HCO3-] will decrease by 5 mmol/l for every 10 mmHg decrease in pCO2 below 40 mmHg.

View attachment 87656Do these equations look correct to you given the rules outlined? Particularly the subtraction for alkalosis (24- and 40 - PaCO2 as opposed to PaCO2 - 40 in the above example).
Yes, that's fine. Alternatively, you could make the signs in the second equation the same as in the first, i.e. ##24+\left[5\times\frac{(PaCO_2-40)}{10}\right]##, so that the only difference is the 5. It comes to the same thing, but you would need to be careful with signs when using it to calculate.

Likes cbrons
cbrons said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

View attachment 87656Do these equations look correct to you given the rules outlined? Particularly the subtraction for alkalosis (24- and 40 - PaCO2 as opposed to PaCO2 - 40 in the above example).

Yes, your expressions look correct, as written. However, it would be better to put the restrictions right in the equation(s) themselves:
[tex] \text{Expected HCO}_3^{-} = 24 + \begin{cases} \;\;(4/10) (\text{PaCO}_2 - 40) &, \text{PaCO}_2 > 40\\
- (5/10) ( 40 - \text{PaCO}_2) &, \text{PaCO}_2 < 40
\end{cases} [/tex]

It would also work if you wrote
[tex] \text{Expected HCO}_3^{-} = 24 + \begin{cases} (4/10) (\text{PaCO}_2 - 40) &, \text{PaCO}_2 > 40\\
(5/10) ( \text{PaCO}_2 - 40) &, \text{PaCO}_2 < 40
\end{cases}
[/tex]
The reason the latter works is that when ##\text{PaCO}_2 > 40## the quantity ##\text{PaCO}_2 - 40## is ##>0## and so we are adding, but when ##\text{PaCO}_2 < 40## the quantity ##\text{PaCO}_2 - 40## is ##< 0##, and so we are subtracting. This is exactly what you want to do.

Note: the equations above were written using "LaTeX" and employing the " \ begin{cases} ... \ end{cases}" construction. (Remove the space between the '\' and 'begin'; I put it in just to prevent LaTeX from trying to process the explanation.)

Likes cbrons

Related to How Do You Calculate Bicarbonate Levels in Respiratory Disorders?

1. What is the proper format for writing equations in scientific papers?

The most commonly used format for writing equations in scientific papers is the LaTeX format. This format allows for the clear and precise representation of mathematical and scientific equations.

2. How do I include special symbols and characters in my equations?

You can include special symbols and characters in your equations by using the appropriate LaTeX command. For example, the command "\alpha" will insert the Greek letter alpha into your equation.

3. Can I use Microsoft Word or other word processors to write equations?

While it is possible to write equations in Microsoft Word and other word processors, it is not the most efficient or accurate method. Using the LaTeX format is recommended for writing equations in scientific papers.

4. How do I align multiple equations in a single line?

To align multiple equations in a single line, you can use the align environment in LaTeX. This will allow you to specify the alignment points for each equation.

5. Are there any online resources or tools for formatting equations?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available for formatting equations. Some popular ones include Overleaf, MathType, and Equation Editor. These tools provide a user-friendly interface for writing and formatting equations in the LaTeX format.