How Do You Calculate the Determinant of a Matrix Using Index Notation?

In summary: This is a mathematical convention for simplifying expressions involving summations of vectors, matrices, and tensors.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of summation notation and the Einstein summation convention in expressing mathematical equations involving matrices and tensors. It also touches on the properties of adjoint and transpose operations and the generalization of these concepts to more abstract mathematical structures.
ognik
Making sure I have this right, $ |A| = \sum_{i}\sum_{j}\sum_{k} \epsilon_{ijk}a_{1i}a_{2j}a_{3k} $ (for a 3 X 3)

and a 4 X 4 would be $ |A| = \sum_{i}\sum_{j}\sum_{k} \sum_{l} \epsilon_{ijkl} a_{1i} a_{2j} a_{3k} a_{4l} $ ?

Is there any special algebra for these terms? (they could be anything from scalars to complex functions)

Especially for $|A|^*$ may I just conjugate each term? Is that the same for adjoint, $\dagger$ each term?
Less clear is what to do with $|A|^T$?

Finally I see the n X n formula done without any summation signs, why is that?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Making sure I have this right, $ |A| = \sum_{i}\sum_{j}\sum_{k} \epsilon_{ijk}a_{1i}a_{2j}a_{3k} $ (for a 3 X 3)

and a 4 X 4 would be $ |A| = \sum_{i}\sum_{j}\sum_{k} \sum_{l} \epsilon_{ijkl} a_{1i} a_{2j} a_{3k} a_{4l} $ ?
Yes.

ognik said:
Is there any special algebra for these terms? (they could be anything from scalars to complex functions)
No clue.

ognik said:
Especially for $|A|^*$ may I just conjugate each term?
Yes.

ognik said:
Is that the same for adjoint, $\dagger$ each term?
"T" is the transpose of a matrix. |A| and the components of A are scalars. How can you transpose a number?

ognik said:
Thanks
I don't know who actually came up with it but we usually use the "Einstein summation" convention. Basically if we have two "like" indices summation is assumed. So in place of \(\displaystyle \sum_i a_i~b_i\) we just write \(\displaystyle a_i~b_i\). Warning: the summation convention is actually used for repeating indices that are "upper' and "lower." \(\displaystyle \sum_i a_i~b^i = a_i~b^i\). In Euclidean space \(\displaystyle b^i = b_i\) so we can ignore this detail in the present case.

-Dan

ognik said:

Especially for $|A|^*$ may I just conjugate each term? Is that the same for adjoint, $\dagger$ each term?

Thanks
Mathematicians tend to prefer the following notation:

$\det(A) = \sum\limits_{\sigma \in S_n} \text{sgn}(\sigma) a_{1\sigma(1)}\cdots a_{n\sigma(n)}$

Note that for $i \neq j \neq k \neq i$, $\epsilon_{ijk} = \text{sgn}(\sigma)$ where:

$\sigma(1) = i$
$\sigma(2) = j$
$\sigma(3) = k$

For all "other" values of $i,j,k$ (that is, when two are equal), $\epsilon_{ijk} = 0$, so the "mathematician"s" sum has fewer terms to compute ($n!$) over the "physicist's" sum ($n^n$), but "not really".

If what you meant was:

$\det(A^{\dagger})$, it is not hard to show that this equals $\overline{\det(A)}$, and in the real case, this becomes:

$\det(A^T) = \det(A)$

The elements of a matrix can be quite general, but generally we require they be elements of a commutative ring, in order to take determinants.

To get "more" general (than matrices with elements in a commutative ring), one has to start talking about $R$-module homomorphisms (basically $R$-modules are abelian groups acted on by a ring $R$, and $R$-module homomorphisms are the "structure-preserving maps" - linear operators are a subset of these), and when $R$ is no longer commutative, one can no longer speak of "components" or "basis elements" so meaningfully (these concepts still exist, but aren't as useful in the more general setting).

Einstein summation is due to (surprise!) Albert Einstein, who used it in his 1916 paper: ""The Foundation of the General Theory of Relativity" (Annalen der Physik).

Related to How Do You Calculate the Determinant of a Matrix Using Index Notation?

1. What is index notation determinant?

Index notation determinant is a mathematical notation used to represent the determinant of a matrix. It involves using indices to represent the rows and columns of the matrix and using summation and multiplication rules to calculate the determinant.

2. How is index notation determinant different from other methods of calculating determinants?

Index notation determinant is a more efficient and concise method compared to other methods such as the cofactor expansion or Gaussian elimination. It allows for easier manipulation and calculation of determinants, especially for larger matrices.

3. What are the benefits of using index notation determinant?

Using index notation determinant can help save time and effort in calculating determinants, especially for matrices with a large number of rows and columns. It also allows for a more systematic and organized approach to solving determinants.

4. Are there any limitations to using index notation determinant?

Index notation determinant may not be suitable for beginners or those who are not familiar with the concept of matrices and indices. It also has limitations when dealing with complex matrices or matrices with non-numerical elements.

5. How can index notation determinant be applied in real-life situations?

Index notation determinant is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve problems involving systems of equations or to determine the stability of a system. It can also be used to solve optimization problems and in data analysis.