How do you calculate voltage from Coulomb’s equation?

In summary, the equation F = CQ1Q2/r^2 can be rearranged to give electric field measured in volts per meter and then rearranged to get voltage. However, the answers obtained may seem incorrect due to the large value of the Coulomb constant. For example, using the values of 2 coulombs and 2 meters apart can result in a voltage of 10^9 volts. This is because one Coulomb of charge is equivalent to a large number of elementary charges, making it a significant amount of charge. This can be better understood by comparing it to the gravitational force between two 1kg masses, which is much smaller. However, unlike gravity, there are no balancing forces of repulsion in electricity
Nads
I know that the equation
F = CQ1Q2/r^2 can be rearranged to give electric field measured in volts per meter and then arearranged to get voltage but I don’t thing the answers I get are correct. I once got 10^9 volts between 2 coulombs 2 meters apart?

I am really confused please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Nads, a belated :welcome: !

Nads said:
I once got 10^9 volts between 2 coulombs 2 meters apart
That is because the Coulomb constant is so large. I even get $$V = { kq\over r } = 8.987 \times 10^9\ \rm{ J/C } $$ if ##\ r=2## m and ##\ q = 2 ## C.

On the other hand, one Coulomb is an awful lot of charge, given that one elementary charge (e.g. an electron) is 1.60217662 × 10-19 Coulomb.

Of course there are a lot of those around, but our in everyday experience we are used to neutrality: there may be a lot of them around, but about as many positive ones as negative ones. Fortunately :smile:.
And indeed, even a small relative difference in the numbers generates huge voltages.

Ok that makes sense. so these values are really high and my math was correct to some degree.
Thanks for clarifying that.

BvU said:
one Coulomb is an awful lot of charge,
It certainly is.
Use the equation
F = ke Q1 Q2 / r2
(ke = 8.9875×109 N m2 C−2)
and calculate the Force you would need to hold those two charges together. It is easy to ignore the actual numbers involved in simple thought experiments and you spotted the crazy PD needed. The Force is perhaps easier to appreciate.
Then do the same thing to find the gravitational force between two 1kg masses, separated by 1m. Quite a bit smaller! But, of course, gravity just goes on and on and there are no balancing forces of repulsion that limit the effect of force between real electric charges.

What is Coulomb's equation?

Coulomb's equation, also known as Coulomb's law, is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the relationship between the electrostatic force between two charged particles and the distance between them. It is represented by the equation F = k(q1q2)/r2, where F is the electrostatic force, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, r is the distance between the particles, and k is the proportionality constant.

How do you calculate voltage from Coulomb's equation?

To calculate voltage from Coulomb's equation, you can use the formula V = k(q/r), where V is the voltage, q is the charge of the particle, r is the distance between the particle and the point where you want to calculate the voltage, and k is the proportionality constant. This formula takes into account the work done by the electrostatic force in moving the charged particle from one point to another.

What is the proportionality constant in Coulomb's equation?

The proportionality constant in Coulomb's equation, represented by the symbol k, is a constant that depends on the medium between the two charged particles. In a vacuum, the value of k is equal to 8.99 x 109 Nm2/C2. In other media, such as air or water, the value of k may differ slightly.

How does distance affect voltage in Coulomb's equation?

According to Coulomb's equation, voltage is directly proportional to the distance between the two charged particles. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the voltage decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as an inverse-square law, which means that the voltage decreases in proportion to the square of the distance between the particles.

Can Coulomb's equation be used to calculate voltage in a circuit?

Yes, Coulomb's equation can be used to calculate voltage in a circuit. In a circuit, the charged particles are electrons, and their movement through the circuit creates a voltage difference. By applying Coulomb's equation, you can calculate the voltage difference between two points in a circuit, which is important for understanding the flow of electricity and designing electrical systems.