How Do You Interpret Logistic Regression Output and Translate Dose Effects?

In summary, Simple Logistic Regression is a statistical method used to model and analyze relationships between a binary dependent variable and one or more independent variables. It differs from Linear Regression in terms of the type of dependent variable, curve used, and output. The purpose of this method is to predict the probability of an event occurring based on a set of independent variables and is commonly used in various fields. The assumptions for Simple Logistic Regression include a binary dependent variable, linear relationship between the independent variables and log odds of the dependent variable, no multicollinearity, independence of observations, and an adequate sample size. The performance of Simple Logistic Regression is evaluated using metrics such as accuracy, precision, recall, F1 score, and the area under the ROC curve.
jamesmartinn
Hello all, I've performed a simple logistic regression and could use some help in interpretations/minor calculations.

Five different doses of insecticide were applied under standardized conditions to samples of an insect species. The data were:

Dose: ---2.6---3.8---5.1---7.7---10.2---
Dead: ----7----16---20----48----54----
Total: ---60----60---59----57----60---

So I was asked to fit a logistic regression model that says the logit of chance of death increases linearly with the natural logarithm of dose (ml/G). So, I did a ln transformation of the dose variable, and then proceeded with the logistic regression.

Some important output from the analysis:

Beta_hat = 3.3364
95% Likelihood Ratio Confidence Interval for Beta = (2.6478, 4.0989)This is pretty much a multi-step type question... I've answered questions a) through f), but I am getting really confused on questions g) and h)

Here are the questions, verbatim.

g) Given an approximate 95% Likelihood Ratio Confidence Interval for B. Translate this interval into an interval for the effect on the odds of death of increasing the dose by 50% (ie., multiplying the dose by 1.5) and interpret. Hint: First translate the multiplying dose factor to the natural log scale.

For this question, I've been going with this interpretation.

e^Beta_hat = e^3.3364 = 28.12. Thus, for a one-unit increase in the log dose, there is a 28.12 multiplicative effect on the odds in favor of insect death. I'm just having trouble proceeding with the next parts...logarithms and all.

I need help converting the interval so I can say something like this. For a 50% increase in Dose (Not Log dose), there is a ___ multiplicative effect on the odds in favor of insect death, CI (___, ____)

h) Setup an approximate 95% CI for the rate of change of the chance of death per unit increase in log concentration at the median effective level.

Any help would be great. Like I said, its just these last two questions that are really confusing me.

Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Based on the information provided, it appears that you have correctly performed the initial steps of fitting a logistic regression model and calculating the beta_hat and confidence interval. To answer your questions g) and h), you will need to use the information from the output and apply it to the specific scenarios given.

For question g), you are asked to interpret the confidence interval for the effect on the odds of death of increasing the dose by 50%. In order to do this, you will need to first translate the multiplying dose factor of 1.5 to the natural log scale.

To do this, you can use the fact that ln(1.5) = 0.4054. This means that a 50% increase in the dose corresponds to a 0.4054 increase in the natural log of the dose. Now, using the beta_hat and confidence interval from your output, you can calculate the corresponding interval for the effect on the odds of death.

To do this, you can use the formula e^(beta_hat + 0.4054) to get the upper bound of the interval and e^(beta_hat - 0.4054) to get the lower bound. This will give you the interval for the odds ratio, which you can then interpret as the multiplicative effect on the odds of death.

For question h), you are asked to set up an approximate 95% confidence interval for the rate of change of the chance of death per unit increase in log concentration at the median effective level. The median effective level is the point at which the logit of the chance of death is equal to 0.5, which corresponds to an odds ratio of 1.

To set up the interval, you can use the formula (beta_hat + or - 2 * standard error), where the standard error can be found in your output. This will give you an approximate interval for the rate of change, which you can then interpret as the slope of the line.

I hope this helps clarify the last two questions for you. Let me know if you have any further questions or need any additional assistance. Best of luck with your analysis!

Related to How Do You Interpret Logistic Regression Output and Translate Dose Effects?

1. What is Simple Logistic Regression?

Simple Logistic Regression is a statistical method used to model and analyze relationships between a binary dependent variable (also known as the response variable) and one or more independent variables (also known as predictor variables). It is commonly used to predict the probability of an event occurring based on a set of independent variables.

2. How is Simple Logistic Regression different from Linear Regression?

Simple Logistic Regression differs from Linear Regression in several ways. First, the dependent variable in Simple Logistic Regression is binary (e.g. yes or no, 1 or 0) while in Linear Regression, it is continuous. Additionally, Simple Logistic Regression uses a different type of curve (S-shaped) to fit the data, while Linear Regression uses a straight line. Lastly, the output of Simple Logistic Regression is a probability, while the output of Linear Regression is a numerical value.

3. What is the purpose of Simple Logistic Regression?

The purpose of Simple Logistic Regression is to build a statistical model that can predict the probability of an event occurring based on a set of independent variables. It is commonly used in various fields such as medicine, marketing, and social sciences to understand and analyze the relationships between variables and make predictions.

4. What are the assumptions of Simple Logistic Regression?

There are several assumptions for Simple Logistic Regression, including:

• The dependent variable is binary.
  • The independent variables are linearly related to the log odds of the dependent variable.
  • The independent variables are not highly correlated with each other (multicollinearity).
  • The observations are independent of each other.
  • The sample size is large enough to produce reliable results.

5. How is the performance of Simple Logistic Regression evaluated?

The performance of Simple Logistic Regression is evaluated using various metrics such as accuracy, precision, recall, and F1 score. These metrics compare the predicted values with the actual values to measure the model's performance. Additionally, the area under the Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) curve is also commonly used to evaluate the model's performance. A higher area under the curve indicates a better-performing model.