How Do You Solve a Natural Logarithm Equation for Variable y?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve for the value of y in the equation 1 - e^-0.15*10^-5*y = 0.1. The answer is supposed to be 70,240 and the parameter lambda is given as 0.15*10^-5. There is confusion about whether to use log or ln to solve for y, but it is clarified that ln should be used. The link provided gives a helpful explanation.
alextsipkis
hello,

I was trying to figure out what will be the y value for this equations:

1 - e^-0.15*10^-5*y = 0.1

Could somebody help me in this?? The answer is supposed to be 70,240.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
alextsipkis said:
1 - e^-0.15*10^-5*y = 0.1

What does that mean?
1 - (e^-0.15)*(10^-5)*y = 0.1
1 - (e^-0.15)*(10^(-5*y)) = 0.1
1 - (((e^-0.15)*10)^-5)*y = 0.1
1 - e^(-0.15*(10^(-5*y))) = 0.1
1 - e^(-0.15*(10^-5)*y) = 0.1
1 - e^(-0.15*(10^(-5*y))) = 0.1

Sorry , i forgot to put the parenthesis. Here , it goes.. Hope it will be clear this time.

Note that the parameter lambda has this value:

lambda = (0.15*10^-5)

And i was trying to calculate,

(1 - e^(-lambda*y)) = 0.1 for y, and the answer is assumed to be 70,240.

Similarly,

1 - e^(-lambda*y) = 0.632, and the answer for this is supposed to be 666,667.

I am really confused how we get to this answer. I am not sure wether we use log or ln to get this answer.

thanks.

well, ln(x) is the inverse of the exponential function exp(x) == e^x, so you must use that. Rearrange it so that you just have e^(something) on one side of the equation, and apply ln to both sides (actually mathematicians often use log to mean ln, but calculators use ln to mean natural log, log to mean base 10 log).

I tried, but not getting the right answer.

Could somebody clear this confusion...

thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/r4nrzd"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lottttttttt gel...i got it right now... :-)

Related to How Do You Solve a Natural Logarithm Equation for Variable y?

1. What is a natural logarithm?

A natural logarithm is a mathematical function that gives the time needed to reach a certain level of growth or decay. It is often denoted as ln(x) and is the inverse of the exponential function.

2. How is the natural logarithm different from a regular logarithm?

The natural logarithm is a logarithm with a base of e, which is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. Regular logarithms have a base of 10 or another specified number.

3. What is the relationship between natural logarithms and exponential functions?

The natural logarithm and exponential functions are inverse functions of each other. This means that when you take the natural logarithm of a number, you are finding the exponent that the base e needs to be raised to in order to get that number.

4. How can natural logarithms be used in real life?

Natural logarithms are commonly used in finance, biology, and other fields to model growth and decay. They can also be used to solve exponential equations and calculate compound interest.

5. How can I solve problems involving natural logarithms?

To solve problems involving natural logarithms, you can use the laws of logarithms, such as the product rule and quotient rule, to simplify expressions. You can also use a calculator or online tool to calculate natural logarithms.