How do you solve this equation used to calibrate an ammeter?

• Thread starter rexxii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ammeter
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a given problem involving one theta appearing in two places and in two different forms. There are various methods suggested, such as drawing a graph and using numerical equation-solving methods or software. One method involves rearranging the equation and iterating to convergence. However, there may be issues with using graphing software due to the argument of sin being in radians instead of degrees.
rexxii
Homework Statement
algebra with two unknowns
Relevant Equations
two thetas in equation
Please can someone tell me how to solve the below:
we have been given:

can someone please explain how we deal with two theatas? please ignore full stops wouldn't line up any other way!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't tell what you're doing here or what the question is. Could you please fix your post and remove the formatting?

vela said:
I can't tell what you're doing here or what the question is. Could you please fix your post and remove the formatting?
Hi Vela, I apologise, new here. please see amendment

rexxii said:
Please can someone tell me how to solve the below:
we have been given:

View attachment 241543
can someone please explain how we deal with two theatas? please ignore full stops wouldn't line up any other way!​

There is only one theta, not two. However, that theta appears in two places and in two different forms.

If you want to find the value of ##\theta## corresponding to a given current ##i##, you can just draw a graph of ##i## vs. ##\theta## and pick out an approximate solution from the graph. You can refine it (i.e., get a more accurate solution) using any number of numerical equation-solving methods. Alternatively, you can submit the problem to a software package for solution. For example, using the EXCEL Solver tool should enable you to complete the job.

Another way is to re-write the equation as
$$\theta = (i/0.735)^2 \sin(\theta + 3),$$
plot the two curves ##y = \theta## and ##y = (i/0.735)^2 \sin(\theta+30)##, and see where the two curves cross one another.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
There is only one theta, not two. However, that theta appears in two places and in two different forms.

If you want to find the value of ##\theta## corresponding to a given current ##i##, you can just draw a graph of ##i## vs. ##\theta## and pick out an approximate solution from the graph. You can refine it (i.e., get a more accurate solution) using any number of numerical equation-solving methods. Alternatively, you can submit the problem to a software package for solution. For example, using the EXCEL Solver tool should enable you to complete the job.

Another way is to re-write the equation as
$$\theta = (i/0.735)^2 \sin(\theta + 3),$$
plot the two curves ##y = \theta## and ##y = (i/0.735)^2 \sin(\theta+30)##, and see where the two curves cross one another.
hi,

thank you for the advice - i understand what you mean partly.

However, how can i define this on a graph? I cannot put theta into a graphing software.

I would have thought I plot y=3 and y=0.735 sqrt route (x/sin(x+30) but that doesn't seem to be working please could you expand on what you mean?

Thank you

Graphing software generally expects the argument of sin to be in radians; your formula uses degrees.

However I think the intention is that you rearrange the equation as [tex]
\theta = \left(\frac{3}{0.753}\right)^2 \sin(\theta + 30)
[/tex] as @Ray Vickson has done, and then iterate [tex]
\theta_{n+1} = \left(\frac{3}{0.753}\right)^2 \sin(\theta_n + 30)
[/tex] to convergence, as can be done on a standard scientific calculator.

You will require an initial guess for [itex]\theta_0[/itex], and the first part of the question should provide that.

rexxii said:
hi,

thank you for the advice - i understand what you mean partly.

However, how can i define this on a graph? I cannot put theta into a graphing software.

I would have thought I plot y=3 and y=0.735 sqrt route (x/sin(x+30) but that doesn't seem to be working please could you expand on what you mean?

Thank you

Show the details: why does it not work? It works for me, but I need to be careful about converting ##\theta## from degrees to radians.

1. How do you determine the value of the unknown resistor in the equation?

The value of the unknown resistor can be determined by rearranging the equation and solving for the unknown variable. This can be done by using algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination.

2. Can the equation be used for all types of ammeters?

Yes, the equation can be used for all types of ammeters as long as the appropriate values are substituted for the variables. The equation is a general formula for calibrating ammeters.

3. What are the different variables in the equation and what do they represent?

The variables in the equation are the known resistor value (Rk), the unknown resistor value (Rx), the ammeter reading (Ia), and the true current (It). The known resistor value represents the resistance of a known resistor used in the calibration process, the unknown resistor value represents the resistance of the ammeter being calibrated, the ammeter reading represents the current measured by the ammeter, and the true current represents the actual current flowing through the circuit.

4. What is the purpose of calibrating an ammeter?

The purpose of calibrating an ammeter is to ensure that it is accurately measuring current. Ammeters can become less accurate over time due to wear and tear, so calibration is necessary to maintain accurate readings.

5. Can the equation be used for other types of electronic instruments?

No, the equation is specifically designed for calibrating ammeters and may not be applicable for other types of electronic instruments. Each type of instrument may have its own unique calibration equation or method.