How does a magnet's magnetic field work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of magnetic fields and their role in creating attraction and repulsion forces. The idea that the magnetic field is made of photons is presented, but it is noted that this is not accurate. Instead, it is explained that a magnet emits photons towards a material, causing one end to become positively charged and the other end to become negatively charged. This leads to a continuous exchange of energy between the two sides, resulting in attraction between the positive side of the material and the negative side of the magnet. It is also mentioned that developing personal theories is not appropriate for this forum and a reliable source, such as the Wikipedia page on magnets, is suggested for further information.
Aliam1
Now I know that the magnetic field is made of photons iam trying to understand how it creates the attraction of force. I am not sure if its true or not I theorized that the magnet emits photons towards the material for example Iron and it turns one end to positively charged and the other end negatively charged The positive side of the iron is constantly getting energy on the negative side is constantly releasing energy in order to equalise and the Positively charged Side of the iron is attracted by the magnet Negative side of the magnet. Please let me know if there is anything wrong with this explanation and if you have a better one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aliam1 said:
Now I know that the magnetic field is made of photons

You can stop right there. It's not.

Aliam1 said:
I theorised

PF isn't the place to develop personal theories.

1. How does a magnet create a magnetic field?

A magnet is made up of atoms with aligned magnetic fields. When these atoms are arranged in a specific way, they create a magnetic field that extends from one pole of the magnet to the other. This magnetic field is what allows the magnet to attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials.

2. What is the source of a magnet's magnetic field?

The source of a magnet's magnetic field is the movement of electrons within the atoms that make up the magnet. The electrons have a property called spin, which creates a tiny magnetic field. When these spins are aligned in the same direction, as they are in a magnet, they create a larger and more noticeable magnetic field.

3. Why do magnets have two poles?

Magnets have two poles, north and south, because of the way the electrons are arranged in the atoms. The electrons spin in one direction around the nucleus, creating a north pole, and in the opposite direction, creating a south pole. When these atoms are arranged in a magnet, the poles align in the same direction, resulting in two distinct poles.

4. How does the shape of a magnet affect its magnetic field?

The shape of a magnet does not affect its magnetic field. As long as the atoms within the magnet are arranged in the same way, the magnetic field will remain the same. However, the shape of a magnet can affect how the magnetic field interacts with other magnets or magnetic materials.

5. Can a magnet's magnetic field be turned off or reversed?

Yes, a magnet's magnetic field can be turned off or reversed. This can be achieved by heating the magnet to its Curie temperature, which causes the atoms to lose their alignment and the magnetic field to disappear. The magnetic field can also be reversed by exposing the magnet to a strong magnetic field in the opposite direction.