How does AAW work? (Active Aeroelastic Wings)

• Thread starter TimeRip496
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wings Work
In summary, AAW technology utilizes wing aeroelastic flexibility and multiple control surfaces activated by a digital flight control system to create favorable wing twist and increase control input through the use of air power. This allows for a reverse bending of the wings, resulting in an increase in angle of attack and subsequently lift. However, this technology is still in the research phase and has potential drawbacks such as increased complexity and weight. The exact mechanism of how the wings bend to the correct shape is not fully explained, but diagrams suggest a combination of leading and trailing edge adjustments to create the desired twist.
TimeRip496
For a conventional wings, at high speed or fast roll, the leading edge of the wings will bend downwards. This will decrease angle of attack and subsequently lift. How does AAW make the wings bend the other way round? Is it due to the materials or the shape of the wings that is designed?

If such a wing is possible, why isn't it used in place of the conventional one? Other than it being still in the research phase, what drawbacks does it have which makes it less preferable compared to the conventional wings? And with wings at such low aeroelasticity, won't it flutter at high speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-53_Active_Aeroelastic_Wing

I had to look up AAW, and I found the interesting article above. It explains a little bit how it works.
It did not really answer my questions such as how does AAW make the wings bend the other way round or what are its drawbacks

TimeRip496 said:
It did not really answer my questions such as how does AAW make the wings bend the other way round
It does look like that is addressed in the article.
AAW Technology employs wing aeroelastic flexibility for a net benefit through use of multiple leading and trailing edge control surfaces activated by a digital flight control system. At higher dynamic pressures, AAW control surfaces are used as "tabs" which are deflected into the air stream to produce favorable wing twist instead of the reduced control generally associated with “aileron reversal” caused by trailing edge surfaces. The energy of the air stream is employed to twist the wing with less control surface motion; the wing itself creates the control forces.

TimeRip496 said:
what are its drawbacks
I'm sure the extra complexity and weight are drawbacks. Can you think of others? Is this for schoolwork maybe?

berkeman said:
It does look like that is addressed in the article.

It is mentioned in the article but it doesn't really elaborate on how the wings bend such that the air power will give the plane more control input. I was thinking it is done by adjusting the leading and trailing edge of the wings such that the wings will bend in the 'correct' shape but I don't know what the 'correct shape' is.

For instance, if the plane is to roll to the right, its aileron on the port side has to be deflected downwards so as to create an upward lift. However at high speed, the wing will bend and this will decrease its attack of attack which will reverse the roll instead. So how does AAW bend to the correct shape? I see diagram which shows the leading edge bend upwards while the trailing edge bend downwards and the air power will then bend the wing even more such that its angle of attack increase instead. Is this supposed to be how it works?

Related to How does AAW work? (Active Aeroelastic Wings)

1. What are active aeroelastic wings?

Active aeroelastic wings (AAW) are a type of aircraft wing design that incorporates flexible structures and advanced control systems to improve the aerodynamic performance of the wing. These wings are able to adapt to changing flight conditions, such as turbulence or gusts, to reduce drag and increase efficiency.

2. How do AAW work?

AAW work by using sensors to detect changes in the flight environment, such as changes in pressure or air flow. This information is then processed by a control system, which actuates the wing's flexible structures to optimize its shape and reduce drag. This allows the wing to actively respond to changing conditions and improve aerodynamic efficiency.

3. What are the benefits of AAW?

The main benefits of AAW include improved aerodynamic efficiency, reduced drag, and increased fuel efficiency. AAW can also improve the stability and control of an aircraft, leading to smoother flight and enhanced safety. Additionally, AAW can help reduce noise levels, making flights more comfortable for passengers.

4. Are AAW currently used in commercial aircraft?

While AAW technology is still in the research and development phase, some aspects of AAW have been incorporated into modern aircraft designs. For example, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner uses composite materials and flexible wing structures to improve aerodynamic performance. However, full implementation of AAW in commercial aircraft has yet to be achieved.

5. What are the potential future applications of AAW?

AAW technology has the potential to greatly improve the efficiency and performance of aircraft, making it a promising area of research for the aviation industry. Some potential future applications of AAW include supersonic flight, space exploration, and military aircraft. AAW could also have applications beyond aviation, such as in wind turbines or other flexible structures.