How does an angled rod behave upon collision?

In summary, the falling angled rod has linear momentum and angular momentum. The linear momentum is conserved, but the angular momentum is decreased by 50%.
Michal Fishkin
Hi! I am new to the forums and this is my first question.
I am investigating the properties of this type of chain.
our_chain_specs.jpg

In order to understand it better, I need to know the physics behind a falling angled rod.
tilted_rod_falling.jpg

I understand that the other end speeds up to conserve momentum, but I do not understand how to calculate it. The paper I read on it stated that
If one let's a tilted rod fall onto a table, its other end speeds up on hitting (by 50% for a uniform rod with small θ having plastic impact: VB+ = 3V/2).
I also understand that for very small angles and lengths I could assume that end B is traveling in a straight line.

What would be the derivation behind the 50% increase in speed?
Are there other important aspects I am missing?
Does the angle affect the velocity?
Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give a citation for the paper?

Cool, I wasn't aware of such physics, so I learned a bunch working it out.

Before the collision, the momentum is ##p_i=mv##
After the collision, the linear momentum is ##p_f=mv_b/2## and the angular momentum about the center of mass is ##L_a=I \omega##, where
##I = mL^2/12## and ##\omega = v_b/L## (taking small angle approximations). So
##L_a = mv_bL/12##
We need to consider the impulse ##p_c## needed at A to slow down the linear momentum and also produce the angular momentum.
Clearly, ##p_c = p_f-p_i##
Also, the impulse creates a change in angular momentum of ##-p_c L/2## which we can set equal to the final angular momentum ##L_a##
We've got two equations and two unknowns:
##-p_c L/2 = mv_bL/12##
##p_c = mv_b/2 - mv##
Eliminate ##p_c## by substitution
##-(v_b/2 m - vm) L/2 = mL/12 v_b##
Clean up:
##v_b/2 - v = -v_b/6##
##v_b = 3v/2##

If the angle is not small, you can't use the approximation ##\omega = v_b/L##. You can probably work out the effects.

Brilliant! Thank you so much for the explanation. :) Very helpful!
I have a followup question:

I came to the derivation for acceleration of the free end of a rod with one end on the table and the other one in the air, angled at x.
a=3/2×g×cos^2(θ)
This means that the maximum acceleration would result from extremely small angles, so if I were trying to design a super-fast chain the small angle assumption would work.
Under this assumption, in the zig-zig ladder, the first free end would fall 50% faster than gravity, and then the second free end would fall 50% than that, and so on, producing a compounding acceleration effect - is this an accurate way to describe the 'sucking' motion of the chain?

That's way too oversimplified. When the chain pulls on a higher link, the higher link pulls back. Overall, the increase in falling speed is slight.

Khashishi said:
After the collision, the linear momentum is pf=mvb/2pf=mvb/2p_f=mv_b/2 and the angular momentum about the center of mass is La=IωLa=IωL_a=I \omega, where
I=mL2/12I=mL2/12I = mL^2/12 and ω=vb/Lω=vb/L\omega = v_b/L (taking small angle approximations). So
Hi.
The original paper assumes plastic impact.
Any chance an elastic impact would change the result?

Of course. The plastic collision is what keeps point A stuck to the ground after the collision. If you calculate the energy, you will notice that some is lost in the collision.

For an elastic collision, your two equations are conservation of energy and the equation that connects impulse and angular momentum change.

Khashishi said:
That's way too oversimplified. When the chain pulls on a higher link, the higher link pulls back. Overall, the increase in falling speed is slight.
Ah! Thanks so much, I'm not sure why I'm having trouble visualizing this problem in particular.
So in the design of a super fast chain would have as many bars as possible.
Thanks so much again!

1. How does the angle of the rod affect its behavior upon collision?

The angle of the rod can greatly impact its behavior upon collision. When the rod is perpendicular to the object it is colliding with, it will cause a direct impact and the force will be evenly distributed along its length. However, if the rod is at an angle, the force will be distributed unevenly, with more force being exerted on one end of the rod than the other. This can cause the rod to bend or break upon collision.

2. What factors determine the amount of force exerted by the angled rod during a collision?

The amount of force exerted by an angled rod during a collision is determined by several factors, including the mass and speed of the rod, the angle of impact, and the material properties of both the rod and the object it is colliding with. The steeper the angle and the higher the speed of the rod, the more force will be exerted upon impact.

3. Can an angled rod still transfer energy upon collision?

Yes, an angled rod can still transfer energy upon collision. When the rod collides with an object, the kinetic energy of the rod is transferred to the object, causing it to move. The angle of the rod can affect how efficiently this energy is transferred, with a perpendicular impact resulting in the most efficient transfer of energy.

4. How does the shape of the angled rod affect its collision behavior?

The shape of the angled rod can greatly influence its collision behavior. A thinner, more tapered rod will be more likely to bend or break upon impact, while a thicker, more cylindrical rod will be more resistant to deformation. Additionally, the shape of the rod can affect the distribution of force upon impact, with a tapered rod exerting more force on its smaller end.

5. Is it possible for an angled rod to bounce off an object upon collision?

Yes, it is possible for an angled rod to bounce off an object upon collision. This will depend on the angle of impact, the speed of the rod, and the material properties of both the rod and the object. If the angle of impact is shallow and the rod is traveling at a high speed, it may bounce off the object instead of coming to a stop upon collision.