How does an object know how far to move when it's moving?

Gama
TL;DR Summary
question about space interaction with objects, and transfer of information
Space must have properties, it's not just empty nothing, and one of those properties is distance. When an object moves through space at a velocity V information has to be transferred between the object and space. The object has the information that it is moving at velocity V which is distance/time. Space must communicate to the object what that distance is. The object must communicate to space that I have to move that distance. How does this happen?

• Haha
  • Skeptical
Likes davenn, berkeman and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Gama said:
When an object moves through space at a velocity V information has to be transferred between the object and space.
This does not happen.
Gama said:
The object has the information that it is moving at velocity V which is distance/time.
No.
Movement is relative. The object thinks it's at rest and that everything else is moving past it.

Gama said:
The object must communicate to space that I have to move that distance.
If you start an object moving, it will continue to move forever, until and unless its motion is affected by some external force (such as a wall, or the air).

You appear very interested in classical mechanics, but you've got a ways to go to become fluent in it. You could start with Newton's Laws of Motion.

Likes davenn, russ_watters and Baluncore
Gama said:
The object must communicate to space that I have to move that distance.
It's the other way round. Something has to communicate to an object that it must change its state of motion. If there is a charged particle in an electromagnetic field, for example, then the field and particle must interact in order to realise the electromagnetic force. The particle then changes its state of motion in response to that force. Changing your state of motion in response to a force is called acceleration. This is the subject of Newton's second law of motion.

If there is no field interacting with the particle then it does not change its state of motion. This is called moving inertially and is the subject of Newton's first law of motion.

I am very aware of newton's laws of motions. You laugh because you don't understand. Before you think you have superior knowledge have some humility and try and understand. What you take for granted as obvious is not obvious at all. Maybe I see further than you do.

• Haha
  • Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy, davenn and berkeman
Gama said:
I am very aware of newton's laws of motions.
But you just don't believe them?

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, phinds and PeroK
Gama said:
Maybe I see further than you do.
As you sit in your chair, contemplating the laws of physics, what velocity are you communicating to space?

Likes russ_watters
Woo-wee. (Emphasis on the "woo").

Thread paused for Moderation...

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, Ibix, topsquark and 1 other person
The thread will remain closed. The assertions in the OP about information and communication are unfounded. So there is simply nothing to discuss here about how they happen.

Likes topsquark, phinds and Bystander

1. How does an object know how far to move when it's moving?

An object doesn't "know" how far to move on its own. The distance an object moves is determined by the force applied to it and the time for which the force is applied. This is governed by Newton's laws of motion.

2. What factors influence how far an object moves?

The distance an object moves is influenced by the initial velocity, acceleration, and the time for which the force is applied. Additionally, factors like friction, air resistance, and the mass of the object can also affect how far it moves.

3. Does the shape of an object affect how far it moves?

Yes, the shape of an object can affect how far it moves. Objects with streamlined shapes experience less air resistance and can move farther compared to objects with irregular shapes that experience more air resistance.

4. Can the surface on which an object is moving affect how far it moves?

Yes, the surface on which an object is moving can affect how far it moves. A smoother surface will have less friction, allowing the object to move farther, while a rough surface will have more friction, limiting the distance the object can move.

5. How does gravity impact how far an object moves?

Gravity affects how far an object moves by providing a constant acceleration towards the center of the Earth. The force of gravity determines how fast an object falls and how far it can move horizontally before hitting the ground.