How Does Changing Variables Affect the Expected Value in Probability Theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulas for expectation in terms of random variables and their corresponding densities, as well as the possibility of finding the density of a transformed random variable. The Law of the Unconscious Statistician is mentioned as a way to calculate expectation using a new random variable. The conversation also mentions a lemma and a proof for calculating expectation using the probability of a random variable being greater or less than a certain value.
Rasalhague
Hoel: An Introduction to Mathematical Statistics introduces the following formulas for expectation, where the density is zero outside of the interval [a,b].

[tex]E\left [ X \right ] = \int_{a}^{b} x f(x) \; dx[/tex]

[tex]E\left [ g(X) \right ] = \int_{a}^{b} g(x) f(x) \; dx[/tex]

He says, "Let the random variable g(X) be denoted by Y. Then knowing the density f(x) of X it is theoretically possible to to find the density h(x) of Y. The expected value of g(X) is the same as the expected value of Y; therefore if h(y) is available, the latter expected value can be expressed in the form

[tex]E\left [ Y \right ] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} y h(y) \; dy.[/tex]

"By using the change of variable techniques of calculus, it can be shown that this value is the same as the value given by (22) [the 2nd formula I've quoted in this post]."

I've been trying to do this. Let I denote the identity function on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Let [itex]f_X[/itex] denote the pdf of the distribution induced by a random variable X, and [itex]F_X[/itex] its cdf. I'm guessing that when the expected value of a distribution is expressed like this in terms of a random variable, [itex]E[X][/itex] is to be understood as [itex]E[P_X][/itex], and [itex]E[g(X)][/itex] as [itex]E[P_{g \circ X}][/itex], where [itex]P_X[/itex] means the distribution induced by the random variable X, given some sample space implicit in the context.

Then expectation is defined by

[tex]E[P_X]=\int_a^b I \cdot f_X,[/tex]

and we must show that

[tex]\int_a^b I \cdot f_{g \circ X} = \int_a^b g \cdot f_X,[/tex]

or do the limits need to be changed? Using the chain rule (integration by substitution) and the identity

[tex]F_{g \circ X}=F_X \circ g,[/tex]

leads me to

[tex]\int_a^b I \cdot f_{g \circ X} = \int_{g(a)}^{g(b)} I \cdot f_X[/tex]

which looks tantalisingly close, but am I going in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is sometimes called The Law of the Unconscious Statistician, so you might try looking for sources. I'm not sure how to use your approach, so I'll give a slightly different one. In Sheldon Ross's A First Course in Probability, he shows this by first proving the lemma
[tex]
\mathbf{E}[Y] =\int_0^\infty \mathbf{P}\{Y > y \} \, dy - \int_0^\infty \mathbf{P}\{Y < -y \} \, dy
[/tex]
for any random variable Y. (This is a pretty straightforward proof: just switch the order of integration using the pdf for Y.) After that, he sets Y = g(X) and switching the order of integration once more, the result falls out. I can go into more detail if you'd like, but I hope this helps!

Related to How Does Changing Variables Affect the Expected Value in Probability Theory?

What is a change of random variables?

A change of random variables refers to the transformation of a random variable into a new variable using a mathematical function. This allows for the analysis and understanding of the underlying distribution of the original random variable.

Why is a change of random variables useful?

A change of random variables can be useful in simplifying complex probability problems and making them easier to solve. It can also help in understanding the relationship between two random variables and how they affect each other.

What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear change of random variables?

A linear change of random variables involves a transformation that is a linear function, meaning the output is directly proportional to the input. A nonlinear change of random variables involves a transformation that is not a linear function, making the relationship between the input and output more complex.

How does a change of random variables affect the mean and variance?

A change of random variables can affect the mean and variance of the original random variable. The mean can be shifted or scaled depending on the transformation, while the variance can be affected by the shape of the transformation function.

What are some common examples of a change of random variables?

Some common examples of a change of random variables include transformations such as logarithmic, exponential, and power functions. These transformations are often used to convert non-normal distributions to a normal distribution for easier analysis.