How Does Gamma Spectroscopy Track Changes Over Time?

In summary: Thanks for the quick reply!In summary, the software that will record spectra would need to have a data logging feature, and the software could be set to record at a given time.
Dade Murphy
Hello!
These might be silly questions to the experienced, but this will be my first time trying gamma spectroscopy, so I'm a newbie.

Firstly, I'm wondering if there's some software that will record changes in the spectrum over time? I know some people have been doing audio recording, but it doesn't seem like software is designed to analyze or export changing spectra? Basically I'd like to turn it on and start recording, then walk away for an hour and observe changes in emissions during that time.

Secondly, how high can I trust calibrations? For example, if I calibrate with cobalt-60's 1.33 MeV, can I trust accuracy up to 20 - 40 MeV?

Thanks for your expertise!

Engineering news on Phys.org
By changes in the spectrum specifically what are you looking for.. It has been a long time since I did work in this area but I should think there is software for doing this. The manufacturer of your electronics should be able to provide you with this info. For the rest of your question it would be of value to know your experimental setup and what you wish to accomplish.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I sampled a few programs, and I know they update in real time, but I couldn't seem to find any with active data-logging features. Say you had a detection system running, and at some time a radioactive material was placed in front of it. I'd like to be able to record that so that later I can look and determine at what time the material was placed.

Are you looking for a particular gamma rays? You could set windows on those gamma's and count the total number for a given time and use a standard data logger to record the counts with a time stamp on each sample. You wouldn't necessarily need a spectrum to do this.

Related to How Does Gamma Spectroscopy Track Changes Over Time?

1. What is gamma spectroscopy and how does it work?

Gamma spectroscopy is a scientific technique used to analyze the amount and energy of gamma rays emitted by a material. It involves using a gamma-ray detector to measure the energy of these rays and create a spectrum. This spectrum can then be used to identify the elements present in the material.

2. How has gamma spectroscopy evolved over time?

Gamma spectroscopy has evolved significantly since its discovery in the early 20th century. Early techniques involved using photographic plates to capture gamma-ray images, while modern methods use digital detectors and computer analysis for more precise measurements and data processing.

3. What are the applications of gamma spectroscopy?

Gamma spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in fields such as nuclear physics, environmental monitoring, medical imaging, and industrial quality control. It is used to identify and quantify radioactive materials, study the properties of atomic nuclei, and detect radiation in various environments.

4. How is gamma spectroscopy used in nuclear medicine?

In nuclear medicine, gamma spectroscopy is used to image and diagnose various diseases and conditions. It involves injecting a patient with a radioactive tracer that emits gamma rays, which are then detected by a gamma-ray camera. The resulting images can help doctors to identify abnormalities and make accurate diagnoses.

5. What are the advantages and limitations of gamma spectroscopy?

The main advantage of gamma spectroscopy is its high sensitivity and ability to identify specific elements and isotopes. It is also non-invasive and does not require any physical contact with the material being analyzed. However, a limitation is that it can only detect gamma rays and is not effective for other types of radiation. It also requires specialized equipment and expertise to perform accurately.