How does KVL work in transformers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ideal transformers and the application of different formulas for power loss in the secondary coil. It is discovered that the supply voltage and drop voltage are not equal, leading to a discussion about the application of Kirchhoff's voltage law in the secondary coil. The conversation concludes with a reminder that the supply voltage is applied to the primary coil and may not appear in the KVL for the secondary coil.
physicist_kido
I have studied ideal transformers (transfer 100% of energy) and that the power loss in the secondary coil is I^2*R..
Then I asked myself, why can't we use these equivalent formulas for power (IV and V^2/R)??
I tried to use them but they gave me different values for power loss
I searched for an answer here and I discovered that the supply voltage is not equal to the drop voltage through the resistance in the secondary coil.
So IV and V^2/R works when V is the drop voltage..

After that I had another question, How can we apply Kirchhoff's voltage law in the secondary coil?
Due to KVL the sum of voltages must equal zero.
But appearantly, that doesn't exist in the secondary coil as long as the drop voltage is not equal to the supply voltage..

Any one has an explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicist_kido said:
So IV and V^2/R works when V is the drop voltage..
Congratulations. You must have missed that point in a circuits lesson. But you reasoned yourself to the correct conclusion.

physicist_kido said:
Due to KVL the sum of voltages must equal zero.
But appearantly, that doesn't exist in the secondary coil as long as the drop voltage is not equal to the supply voltage..
In this case, you're reasoning yourself to the wrong conclusion. KVL applies to an entire closed loop. Put a load across that secondary, then sum all the V drops around the loop and KVL works just fine.

:welcome:

I think one point you have missed for sure is that the supply voltage is applied to the primary coil therefore when we want to deal with KVL for the secondary coil the supply voltage does not appear anywhere...

1. What is KVL and how does it apply to transformers?

KVL stands for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the algebraic sum of all voltages in a closed loop must equal zero. In transformers, KVL applies to the primary and secondary coils, where the sum of the voltage drops in each coil must equal the input voltage.

2. Why is KVL important in understanding how transformers work?

KVL is important because it helps us understand the distribution of voltage in a transformer. It allows us to calculate the output voltage based on the input voltage and the turns ratio of the coils. It also helps us analyze and troubleshoot any issues with the transformer's performance.

3. How does KVL affect the voltage and current in a transformer?

KVL shows that the voltage in a closed loop must be conserved, meaning that the voltage in the primary coil must equal the voltage in the secondary coil. However, the current in each coil can vary depending on the turns ratio. For example, if the secondary coil has more turns than the primary coil, the output voltage will be higher but the output current will be lower.

4. Can KVL be applied to all types of transformers?

Yes, KVL can be applied to all types of transformers, including step-up, step-down, and isolation transformers. It is a fundamental law of circuit analysis and applies to all electrical circuits, including transformers.

5. How can KVL be used to calculate the output voltage of a transformer?

KVL can be used to calculate the output voltage of a transformer by considering the input voltage, the turns ratio of the coils, and the voltage drops in each coil. By setting the sum of the voltage drops in the primary and secondary coils equal to the input voltage, we can solve for the output voltage.