How does multiplying by delta theta relate to spherical coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spherical coordinates and the use of physics notation for the variables. It also explains how the equation |\Deltai| \approx (sin\phi)\Delta\vartheta is derived and why it is true. A picture is included for better visualization.
tmbrwlf730
Hi,

I'm reading through one of my books and it's explaining how a vector is eqaul to multiplying sin[itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\Delta\vartheta[/itex]. the way it's written in the text is as followed,

|[itex]\Delta[/itex]i| [itex]\approx[/itex] (sin[itex]\phi[/itex])[itex]\Delta[/itex][itex]\vartheta[/itex]

I have never understood how things like this work. Could someone please explain to me why this is true and how it works? I included a picture of the figure it uses. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20111021_164600.jpg
    IMG_20111021_164600.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
You are talking about spherical coordinates, right? Also you are using "physics" notation which switches [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] from "mathematics" notation. In your notation, [itex]\phi[/itex] is the "longitude" and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the "co-latitude".

In these coordinates, for a fixed [itex]\theta[/tex] and r, sweeping [itex]\phi[/itex]through 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], the point [itex](r, \phi, \theta)[/itex] sweeps through a circle, but not a circle of radius r. If we draw the vertical axis, the line from (0, 0, 0) to the point [itex](r, \phi, \theta)[/itex], and the line from that point perpendicular to the vertical axis, we get a right triangle with hypotenuse of length r and base angle of [itex]\phi[/itex]. If we call the opposite side to that angle "x" then [itex]sin(\phi)= x/r[/itex] so [itex]x= r sin(\phi)[/itex]. That will be the radius of the circle swept out.

Related to How does multiplying by delta theta relate to spherical coordinates?

1. Why do we use delta theta when calculating rotational motion?

Delta theta, or Δθ, represents the change in angle in a rotational system. It is used to measure the angular displacement of an object, similar to how delta x is used to measure linear displacement. By multiplying by delta theta, we can calculate the change in angular velocity or angular acceleration over a certain time period.

2. How does multiplying by delta theta help us understand rotational motion?

When multiplied by delta theta, we can determine the angular displacement, velocity, or acceleration of an object over a certain time period. This allows us to analyze the rotational motion of objects and understand how they are moving in space.

3. Can't we just use regular theta instead of delta theta?

No, using regular theta would only give us the final angle of rotation. By using delta theta, we can calculate the change in angle over a certain time period, giving us more information about the rotational motion of an object.

4. Is delta theta the same as angular velocity?

No, delta theta is not the same as angular velocity. Delta theta represents the change in angle, while angular velocity represents the change in angular displacement over time. However, we can calculate angular velocity by dividing delta theta by the change in time.

5. How is delta theta related to rotational inertia?

Delta theta is not directly related to rotational inertia. Rotational inertia, or moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. However, it can be used in calculations involving rotational motion, such as calculating the torque required to rotate an object by a certain angle represented by delta theta.