How does smoothing an AC voltage with a capacitor work?

In summary: There is an assumption that the capacitor will be charged to maximum when the AC voltage reaches its peak. Why is this assumption (largely) true?If the voltage source can deliver the necessary current, then the capacitor is charged up to the maximum voltage minus the (small) voltage drop over the diode.Before we delve into iii and iv, please post your sketches and describe them in some detail. Then your questions about them will be easier to tackle.
phantomvommand
Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 8.14.51 PM.png

Specifically for part (i) and (ii), I get the rough idea that when the voltage of the AC source is decreasing, the capacitor can discharge to "cushion" the drop in voltage. However, I have some questions about when this occurs.

1. There is an assumption that the capacitor will be charged to maximum when the AC voltage reaches its peak. Why is this assumption (largely) true?

2. How should I solve part (iii) and part (iv)?
For part (iii), I know that the period of discharge is approximately 1/f = 0.02, and RC = 0.5.
The capacitor should have Voltage = 20(e^-0.02/0.5), and the maximum voltage is 20V. The difference of the 2 values is 0.78, which is twice the correct answer of 0.39V. (BTW I am assuming 20V is the max voltage, not the RMS value, do correct me if I'm wrong.)

For part (iv), I think I am not very clear on what "conducting" means. I took "conducting" to mean "allows current to flow through", isn't that just 50% of the time?

All help is appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
phantomvommand said:
1. There is an assumption that the capacitor will be charged to maximum when the AC voltage reaches its peak. Why is this assumption (largely) true?
If the voltage source can deliver the necessary current, then the capacitor is charged up to the maximum voltage minus the (small) voltage drop over the diode.
Before we delve into iii and iv, please post your sketches and describe them in some detail. Then your questions about them will be easier to tackle.

BvU said:
Hi,
If the voltage source can deliver the necessary current, then the capacitor is charged up to the maximum voltage minus the (small) voltage drop over the diode.
Before we delve into iii and iv, please post your sketches and describe them in some detail. Then your questions about them will be easier to tackle.
Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 9.02.12 PM.png

Thanks for the reply. Above are my sketches. Due to smaller RC value for the 100 ohm case, the capacitor discharges much much faster. I think that part (iii) is asking for the difference in potential between the point where the potential of discharged capacitor = potential of AC source, and the maximum point.

phantomvommand said:
For part (iii), I know that the period of discharge is approximately 1/f = 0.02, and RC = 0.5.
The capacitor should have Voltage = 20(e^-0.02/0.5), and the maximum voltage is 20V. The difference of the 2 values is 0.78, which is twice the correct answer of 0.39V. (BTW I am assuming 20V is the max voltage, not the RMS value, do correct me if I'm wrong.)
The 20 V is given is said to be peak-to-peak, so the amplitude is 10 V and there is your factor 2.

phantomvommand said:
For part (iv), I think I am not very clear on what "conducting" means. I took "conducting" to mean "allows current to flow through", isn't that just 50% of the time?
The diode conducts if the voltage at the anode (input) is greater than the voltage at the cathode (output )
1615468525693.png

So you are supposed to set up some equation and estimate the time this is the case.

##\ ##

Likes phantomvommand

1. How does a capacitor smooth an AC voltage?

A capacitor acts as a temporary storage device for electrical energy. When an AC voltage is applied, the capacitor charges and discharges at the same rate as the AC voltage, effectively smoothing out any fluctuations or ripples in the voltage.

2. Why is smoothing an AC voltage important?

Smoothing an AC voltage is important because it helps to create a stable and consistent power supply. This is especially important in electronic devices that require a steady voltage to function properly.

3. How does the size of the capacitor affect the smoothing of an AC voltage?

The size of the capacitor affects the smoothing of an AC voltage by determining how much electrical energy it can store. A larger capacitor can store more energy and therefore can smooth out larger fluctuations in the AC voltage.

4. Can a capacitor completely eliminate all fluctuations in an AC voltage?

No, a capacitor cannot completely eliminate all fluctuations in an AC voltage. It can only smooth out the ripples to a certain extent. Other components, such as voltage regulators, may be needed to further stabilize the voltage.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a capacitor to smooth an AC voltage?

One potential drawback of using a capacitor to smooth an AC voltage is that it can introduce a delay in the voltage, which may affect the performance of time-sensitive devices. Additionally, if the capacitor is not properly sized or if it fails, it can cause voltage spikes or dips, which can damage electronic components.