How does the chain rule apply to logarithmic differentiation?

In summary, the chain rule states that when differentiating a composite function, the outside function should be differentiated first, and then the inside function should be differentiated. In the given example, the derivative of ln y(x) is equal to 1/y multiplied by the derivative of y(x), which is written as y'(x). This rule helps simplify the process of finding derivatives of more complex functions.
Owen-
Hi everyone - I'm in my first year at uni, and I was given a derivative that i don't quite get:

y(x) is a function of x then
y` = (dy/dx)

d/dx (ln y(x))=1/y(x)*(dy/dx) =(y`/y)

This is given by the chain rule. I don't understand this step...

Any help?

Thanks in advance,
Owen.

Physics news on Phys.org
chain rule says deriver the outside function first (the ln y part)
then do the derivative of the inside function (the y(x))
d/dx(ln y(x))
= d/dx(ln y)*d/dx (y(x))
=1/y *y'(x)

Thanks, just needed to have that put another way - makes perfect sense - thanks again

Related to How does the chain rule apply to logarithmic differentiation?

What is logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function that has a logarithmic term. It involves taking the natural log of both sides of the original function and using properties of logarithms to simplify the expression before taking the derivative.

When should I use logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is typically used when the function involves products, quotients, or powers with a variable in the exponent. It can also be used when the function is in the form of y = f(x)^g(x), where both the base and exponent contain variables.

How is logarithmic differentiation different from regular differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is a more complex method of finding derivatives compared to regular differentiation, which involves using basic rules and formulas to find the derivative. It is typically used for functions that cannot be easily differentiated using regular methods.

What are the steps involved in logarithmic differentiation?

The steps for logarithmic differentiation are as follows: 1) Take the natural log of both sides of the original function. 2) Use properties of logarithms to simplify the expression. 3) Take the derivative of both sides. 4) Solve for the original function by raising e to the power of both sides.

Can logarithmic differentiation be used for any type of function?

No, logarithmic differentiation may not be suitable for all functions. It is typically used for functions that involve logarithmic terms or complex expressions that cannot be easily differentiated using regular methods. It may not work for functions that involve trigonometric, exponential, or hyperbolic functions.