How does the Triangle Inequality apply in this situation?

In summary: In this case, the "nested" inequality is what we need to get from line 2 to line 3, and the other equality shows that the "nested" inequality is true.
Seydlitz
I'm beginning to read Spivak's Calculus 3ed, and everything is smooth until I reach page 12.

QNaq3XL.png

My question is marked, between line 2 and 3. Why there's such sign change suddenly? In fact I tried with simple line 4 case and it's not in fact equal. I'm assuming that a and b is valid for all integer case whether they are negative or not.

Then I read this:
http://math.ucsd.edu/~wgarner/math4c/derivations/other/triangleinequal.htm
(Please see to the Alternative Proof of the Triangle Inequality section)

It clearly contradicts what Spivak's book said in line 3. Then I think, whether he intends to do the case where a and b are both positive, but then the question arises why there's larger than sign in line 2 if that's the case.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
To go from line 1 to line 2, note that for any real number ##x##, we have ##x \leq |x|##. In particular, for ##x = ab##, we have ##ab \leq |ab|##. But of course ##|ab| = |a| \cdot |b|##, so the inequality becomes ##ab \leq |a| \cdot |b|##. We may now multiply this by 2, and add ##a^2 + b^2## to both sides to obtain
$$a^2 + 2ab + b^2 \leq a^2 + 2|a| \cdot |b| + b^2$$
To go from line 2 to 3, we simply recognize that since ##a## and ##b## are real, we have ##a^2 = |a|^2## and ##b^2 = |b|^2##. Therefore the right hand side of the above inequality is equal to ##|a|^2 + 2 |a| \cdot |b| + |b|^2##.

Combining all of the above, we conclude that
$$\begin{align}a^2 + 2ab + b^2 &\leq a^2 + 2|a| \cdot |b| + b^2 \\
&= |a|^2 + 2|a| \cdot |b| + |b|^2\end{align}$$
The proof at your link carries out the same steps, but in a different order, which is why the ##\leq## appears later.

Note that the ##=## sign in the above chain does NOT mean that all of the expressions are equal. Only the expressions immediately before and after the ##=## sign are equal. Since there is at least one ##\leq## in the chain, the correct conclusion is
$$(|a|+|b|)^2 \leq |a|^2 + 2|a| \cdot |b| + |b|^2$$
not
$$(|a|+|b|)^2 = |a|^2 + 2|a| \cdot |b| + |b|^2$$

Last edited:
Likes 2 people
jbunniii said:
To go from line 1 to line 2, note that for any real number ##x##, we have ##x \leq |x|##. In particular, for ##x = ab##, we have ##ab \leq |ab|##. But of course ##|ab| = |a| \cdot |b|##, so the inequality becomes ##ab \leq |a| \cdot |b|##. We may now add ##a^2 + b^2## to both sides to obtain
$$a^2 + ab + b^2 \leq a^2 + |a| \cdot |b| + b^2$$
To go from line 2 to 3, we simply recognize that since ##a## and ##b## are real, we have ##a^2 = |a|^2## and ##b^2 = |b|^2##. Therefore the right hand side of the above inequality is equal to ##|a|^2 + |a| \cdot |b| + |b|^2##.

Combining all of the above, we conclude that
$$\begin{align}a^2 + ab + b^2 &\leq a^2 + |a| \cdot |b| + b^2 \\
&= |a|^2 + |a| \cdot |b| + |b|^2\end{align}$$
The proof at your link carries out the same steps, but in a different order, which is why the ##\leq## appears later.

Ah ok! I get what you're explaining. It seems clearer now. What I didn't get is the fact that the sign in line 2 is 'nested' to that of line 3. Not to the first original expression on the far left. You left out the factor 2 also but I assumed we can just multiply that in and adds ##a^2## and ##b^2##, in the beginning of your explanation.

(I was quite sleepy perhaps, sorry)

jbunniii said:
Note that the ##=## sign in the above chain does NOT mean that all of the expressions are equal. Only the expressions immediately before and after the ##=## sign are equal. Since there is at least one ##\leq## in the chain, the correct conclusion is
$$(|a|+|b|)^2 \leq |a|^2 + |a| \cdot |b| + |b|^2$$
not
$$(|a|+|b|)^2 = |a|^2 + |a| \cdot |b| + |b|^2$$
Do you mean the last part as this?
$$(|a+b|)^2 \neq |a|^2 + 2|a| \cdot |b| + |b|^2$$

Because I think this is true. (I added the missing 2, because without it even the first inequality wouldn't hold)
$$(|a|+|b|)^2 = |a|^2 + 2|a| \cdot |b| + |b|^2$$

and thus
$$(|a+b|)^2 \leq |a|^2 + 2|a| \cdot |b| + |b|^2 = (|a|+|b|)^2$$

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Yes, sorry, I left the 2 out of both expressions. I'll edit my post now to avoid confusion.

Seydlitz said:
Ah ok! I get what you're explaining. It seems clearer now. What I didn't get is the fact that the sign in line 2 is 'nested' to that of line 3. Not to the first original expression on the far left.
Yes, that's right. In general, something of the form ##X \leq Y = Z## means "##X \leq Y## and ##Y = Z##", from which it follows that ##X \leq Z##.

1. What is the Triangle Inequality Question?

The Triangle Inequality Question is a mathematical concept that states the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side. It is often used to determine if a given set of numbers can form a valid triangle.

2. How is the Triangle Inequality Question used in geometry?

In geometry, the Triangle Inequality Question is used to determine the validity of a triangle. If the sum of any two sides is greater than the third side, then the triangle is considered valid. If not, then the triangle cannot exist in Euclidean geometry.

3. What is the importance of the Triangle Inequality Question in mathematics?

The Triangle Inequality Question is important in mathematics because it helps to determine the validity of triangles, which are fundamental shapes in geometry. It also has applications in other fields such as physics, where the validity of vectors can be determined using the Triangle Inequality Question.

4. Can the Triangle Inequality Question be applied to any shape?

No, the Triangle Inequality Question can only be applied to triangles. It is a specific rule that applies to the sum of the sides of a triangle, and cannot be extended to other shapes.

5. How can the Triangle Inequality Question be used in real-life situations?

The Triangle Inequality Question can be used in real-life situations such as construction, where it is important to ensure that the lengths of the sides of a triangle are valid to create a stable structure. It can also be used in navigation and map-making to determine the shortest possible distance between two points.