How does weightlessness work and can we create it on Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses various aspects of zero gravity, including zero gravity chambers, zero-g flights on airplanes, and the possibility of creating zero gravity. It is explained that zero gravity can be simulated by free falling or by moving in a curved path, but true zero gravity can only be achieved in deep space. It is also clarified that the feeling of weightlessness is due to the lack of a reaction force from the ground, not the absence of gravity.
Akshaya dhakal
Zero gravity. We can hear about the zero gravity chamber , zero-g flights on aeroplane and lots of other stuffs about zero gravity on earth.

How does it actually works?
Can it be possible for us to make it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Akshaya dhakal said:
Sure. Climb up on a chair and jump off. In the time from when you leave the chair to the time when you hit the floor, you will be in free fall ("zero gravity")

Likes davenn
Akshaya dhakal said:
Zero gravity. We can hear about the zero gravity chamber , zero-g flights on aeroplane and lots of other stuffs about zero gravity on earth.

You're throwing together several different concepts (some possibly fictional), so it is difficult to know which you are actually asking about. I'll pick one: zero-g flights on airplanes.

The "g-force" you normally feel is due to the fact that you are opposing Earth's natural tendency to accelerate you at 9.8 m/s/s. That's what creates the force on your feet and through your body while standing. If you are in freefall, accelerating at 9.8 m/s/s, you feel zero gravity. So all an airplane has to do to simulate this is fly in a parabolic path, accelerating downward at 9.8 m/s/s, matching Earth's gravitational acceleration.

Akshaya dhakal said:

Depends what you mean by zero. You can get very very close to zero gravity in free fall but any time you are near some matter there will be a small gravitational acceleration. So for example you will be very slightly attracted to other people on the zero gravity flight with you no matter how good looking they are :-)

Likes Dale
Akshaya dhakal said:

Sarrah said:
Which is the correct answer to this question. I am confused.
You cannot get real 'zero g' near the Earth. Go to the deepest region of space and you will be a long way from any significant masses. The g there will be very near zero.
You can simulate zero g by moving in a curve (orbit or parabolic aeroplane path). You experience weightlessness there but g is still significant up there. If you erected a massive high platform for the vomit comet to fly over, the g at that height would be pretty much the same as g, measured on earth.
P.S. There has to be g, even as far away as the Moon (and beyond) or the Moon wouldn't;t stay in orbit.

Akshaya dhakal said:

To make sure we are accurate in all of this, what you described is not a "zero-g" environment, but rather, a weightless environment. And you need to understand how you and I "feel" our weight.

When you are standing perfectly still on the ground, what you feels as "weight" is actually the reaction force of the ground pushing up against your feet. If you are in an elevator, and I cut the cables, you and the elevator will fall with the same acceleration, i.e. a = g = 9.8 m/s2. When this happens, the elevator floor no longer pushes up against you, and you do not "feel" your weight anymore, i.e. you will be floating inside the elevator. You are STILL in the Earth's gravitational field, i.e. gravity is not zero. But you do not feel any reaction against your weight with the floor, so you feel weightless.

Turn this the other way around. If the elevator is floating in space in actual zero-g, and the floor of the elevator accelerates "upwards" at a = g = 9.8 m/s2, then you won't feel any different than " ... standing perfectly still on the ground... " on earth, i.e. you will feel your normal weight, even though you are in a true zero-g environment.

I've used this document when I taught free-body diagram and weightlessness concept to my students. Maybe it'll help you as well.

Zz.

Likes davenn and CWatters

1. How does zero gravity work?

Zero gravity, also known as microgravity, is a phenomenon in which the effects of gravity are greatly reduced or eliminated. This occurs when an object is in a state of constant freefall, such as in orbit around a planet or in deep space. In this state, the object and its surroundings are in a state of weightlessness, and the effects of gravity are balanced by the inertia of the object's motion.

2. Why do astronauts experience weightlessness in space?

Astronauts experience weightlessness in space because they are in a state of constant freefall. As their spacecraft orbits the Earth, they are essentially falling towards the planet, but their sideways momentum keeps them from crashing into it. This creates a feeling of weightlessness as the effects of gravity are balanced by the inertia of their motion.

3. Can zero gravity be simulated on Earth?

Yes, zero gravity can be simulated on Earth using various methods such as parabolic flights, drop towers, and underwater training. These methods create a state of weightlessness for a short period of time, allowing scientists to study the effects of zero gravity on the human body and conduct experiments.

4. How does zero gravity affect the human body?

Extended periods of time in zero gravity can have various effects on the human body, such as loss of muscle mass and bone density, changes in the cardiovascular system, and alterations in the immune system. These changes are due to the lack of gravity, which is essential for maintaining and regulating many bodily functions on Earth.

5. How does zero gravity affect objects other than humans?

Zero gravity can affect objects in various ways, depending on their mass and composition. Objects in a state of weightlessness will float and can be moved around with very little force. Liquids, for example, will form into spherical shapes due to surface tension, and flames can burn in a more spherical shape due to the absence of convection. Additionally, objects with magnetic properties may behave differently in zero gravity compared to on Earth.