How far will the car travel in 10 seconds

We need to find the position, not just the velocity. So we use the equations for position, $x$, for which the integral is needed.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{Embry-Brittle \, 12}$
$\textsf{A car, starting from rest, accelerates in a straight line at a constant rate of $\displaystyle 2.0 \frac{m}{s^2}$}$$\textit{How far will the car travel in $10$ seconds}$\begin{align*}\displaystyle
\Delta t&=10\\
a&=2\\
d_i&=0\\
v_i&=0\\
d_f&= d_i + v_i\Delta t + \frac{1}{2} a \Delta t^2\\
&=0+0\cdot 10+\frac{1}{2} \cdot 2\cdot 10^2\\
&=\color{red}{100 \, m}
\end{align*}no answer given so hope this is ok :cool:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$\tiny{Embry-Brittle \, 12}$
$\textsf{A car, starting from rest, accelerates in a straight line at a constant rate of $\displaystyle 2.0 \frac{m}{s^2}$}$$\textit{How far will the car travel in $10$ seconds}$\begin{align*}\displaystyle
\Delta t&=10\\
a&=2\\
d_i&=0\\
v_i&=0\\
d_f&= d_i + v_i\Delta t + \frac{1}{2} a \Delta t^2\\
&=0+0\cdot 10+\frac{1}{2} \cdot 2\cdot 10^2\\
&=\color{red}{100 \, m}
\end{align*}no answer given so hope this is ok :cool:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} v &= \int{ a\,\mathrm{d}t} \\ v &= a\,t + C_1 \\ v &= a\,t \textrm{ since the car starts from rest...} \\ x &= \int{ v\,\mathrm{d}t} \\ x &= \int{ a\,t \, \mathrm{d}t } \\ x &= \frac{1}{2}\,a\,t^2 + C_2 \textrm{ where } C_2 \textrm{ is the starting position...} \end{align*}$

So with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} t = 10 \textrm{ and } a = 2 \end{align*}$ we have

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} x &= \frac{1}{2} \cdot 2 \cdot 10^2 + C_2 \\ &= 100 + C_2 \end{align*}$

Thus the car has traveled 100 metres.

ok
I didn't know you could us a integral on it:cool:why did you shift from $v=$ to $x=$

Last edited:
You could use the kinematic equation:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{v_f^2-v_i^2}{2a}=\frac{\left(20\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}\right)^2-\left(0\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}\right)^2}{2\left(2\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}^2}\right)}=100\text{ m}\)

karush said:
why did you shift from $v=$ to $x=$

$v$ is velocity, $x$ is position.

1. How do you calculate the distance a car will travel in 10 seconds?

To calculate the distance a car will travel in 10 seconds, you need to know the car's average speed. You can then use the formula: distance = speed x time. In this case, the time is 10 seconds. So, if a car is traveling at an average speed of 60 km/h, it will travel a distance of 600 meters in 10 seconds.

2. Is the distance traveled in 10 seconds affected by the car's acceleration?

Yes, the distance traveled in 10 seconds can be affected by the car's acceleration. If the car is accelerating or decelerating during those 10 seconds, the distance traveled will be different compared to if the car was maintaining a constant speed.

3. Can you estimate the distance a car will travel in 10 seconds without knowing its speed?

No, it is not possible to estimate the distance a car will travel in 10 seconds without knowing its speed. The speed of the car is a crucial factor in calculating the distance, as shown in the formula: distance = speed x time.

4. How accurate is the calculation of distance traveled in 10 seconds?

The accuracy of the calculation of distance traveled in 10 seconds depends on the accuracy of the car's speed. If the speed is measured accurately, then the distance calculation will also be accurate. However, factors such as road conditions and changes in speed can affect the accuracy of the calculation.

5. Can the distance traveled in 10 seconds be different for different types of vehicles?

Yes, the distance traveled in 10 seconds can be different for different types of vehicles. This is because different vehicles have different speeds and acceleration capabilities, which will affect the distance traveled in a specific time frame. For example, a sports car may travel further in 10 seconds compared to a large truck due to its higher speed and acceleration.