How harmful is nuclear radiation? It depends on the dose received.

In summary, the amount of radiation a person receives depends on the dose received. Smaller doses are expressed in milliseverts (mSv) or microseveret. The old unit of dose, rem, is also used widely (1Sv=100 rem). A dose of 10 Sv will most likely results in death, within a day or two. 5 Sv would kill about 50% of exposed people. 2 Sv can also be fatal, especially without prompt treatment. 0.25 Sv = 250 mSv is the limit for emergency workers in life-saving operations. 0.10 Sv = 100 mSv dose is clearly linked to later cancer risks. 0.05 Sv = 50 mSv is the yearly limit
Dmytry said:
this thread is OP posting incorrect data: 16 times under estimate of dose rate outside the zone, almost 2 times off 'typical mammography dose' , etc. see my earlier post here. No point even arguing anything when the numbers are so off.

Dear Dmytry,

1) I agree on the "not worth arguing." No one expects radiation to be uniformly 0.25 mr/hr. In some places it can be much higher and in other it can be much lower. It depends on the time, rain, wind, etc.

2) Do you agree that quoted numbers--for the expected biological effects--are not significantly different from what is "well know"? Do you agree that such numbers can be very useful?

Have a good day.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm closing the thread pending moderation. :rolleyes: