How Have Liver and Kidney Sizes Evolved Across Different Vertebrates?

• Thread starter IheartTiktaal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the conversation discusses the writer's need for help in writing papers on the comparative anatomy of liver and kidney in different organisms. The data set for a dogfish shark, mudpuppy, and cat's liver and kidney weight is provided for analysis. The writer is unsure about how to discuss the differences in organ size and their relation to nephron anatomy and osmoregulation. The conversation also mentions the stress of writing multiple papers on different subjects. Finally, it is suggested that sharks may have smaller kidneys due to their ability to exchange waste through their skin.
IheartTiktaal
Liver and Kidney Evolution! Please Help!

I'm writing several papers for a comparative vertebrate anatomy course, in which, among other things, I will discuss the reasons for anatomical differences in the liver and kidney of various organisms.

I have the class data set for the weights of the liver and kidney of a dogfish shark, mudpuppy (necturus) and cat. (As well as their body weight to do an organ weight vs. body weight analysis)

A shark's liver aids in buoyancy by storing oil, this much is apparent to me. So that guy has a big liver... as for the others.. and kidneys... I am at a loss as to what to say about comparative organ sizes. The only data we have is weight. I'm not sure how this can speak to nephron anatomy if it does at all (for osmoregulation and the like).

Any help is greatly appreciated! Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

You might want to focus your attention on one paper (and one subject) at a time - it might be more productive.

I would rather only write on one subject, indeed. However for the assignment there are 6 subjects and thus 6 papers due. Each paper is a separate entity. So in essence I am focusing on one paper, and one subject, at a time ... but still doing all of them at the same time ... stressful haha.

So, any thoughts on either livers or kidneys?

You could expect sharks to have comparatively smaller kidneys because they can exchange waste with the surrounding water through the skin (which is why they smell like pee).

I can provide some insights into the evolution of the liver and kidney in vertebrates. The liver and kidney are vital organs in the body, responsible for a variety of functions such as metabolism, detoxification, and waste filtration. The evolutionary history of these organs can be traced back to early vertebrates, where they served different purposes than they do now.

The liver is one of the oldest organs in vertebrate evolution, with evidence of its existence dating back to jawless fish. In these early vertebrates, the liver was primarily responsible for producing enzymes and proteins for digestion. As vertebrates evolved, the liver took on additional functions such as bile production, detoxification, and storage of energy reserves.

In contrast, the kidney evolved much later in vertebrate history. The earliest vertebrates did not have kidneys, but instead used their skin and gills for waste elimination. As vertebrates moved onto land, the need for a more efficient waste filtration system arose, leading to the development of the kidney. The first kidneys were simple structures, but over time, they evolved into the complex organs we see in modern vertebrates.

Now, looking at the comparative data set you have for the liver and kidney weights in different organisms, we can see how these organs have evolved to meet the specific needs of each species. For example, the shark's large liver is essential for its buoyancy in water, while the mudpuppy's smaller liver reflects its more terrestrial lifestyle. Similarly, the cat's larger kidney size may be related to its need for efficient water and waste management as a terrestrial mammal.

In terms of nephron anatomy, the data on organ weight can give us some insights into the relative size and complexity of the nephrons in each species. Nephrons are the functional units of the kidney responsible for filtration and reabsorption of waste and nutrients. Generally, larger kidneys with higher organ weight may indicate a higher number or larger size of nephrons, allowing for more efficient filtration and waste management.

In conclusion, the liver and kidney have evolved over millions of years to meet the specific needs of each species. The comparative data you have can provide valuable insights into the evolutionary history and functional adaptations of these vital organs. Keep in mind that this is just one aspect of organ evolution, and there are many other factors involved that can also be explored in your papers. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the role of the liver and kidneys in the human body?

The liver and kidneys are vital organs that play important roles in maintaining the overall health and functioning of the human body. The liver is responsible for detoxifying the blood, producing bile to aid in digestion, and storing essential nutrients. The kidneys, on the other hand, filter waste products from the blood and regulate the body's fluid balance and blood pressure.

2. How did the liver and kidneys evolve in humans?

The liver and kidneys have evolved over millions of years through the process of natural selection. In early vertebrates, the liver was primarily responsible for detoxifying environmental toxins, while the kidneys were mainly used for osmoregulation. As vertebrates evolved and moved onto land, the liver took on a larger role in detoxification, and the kidneys became more specialized in filtering waste products.

3. Are there any similarities between the evolution of the liver and kidneys?

Yes, both the liver and kidneys have evolved from similar embryonic structures, known as the intermediate mesoderm. This shared developmental origin is believed to be a result of their close functional relationship in regulating the body's internal environment.

4. What are some adaptations that have led to the efficient functioning of the liver and kidneys?

Both the liver and kidneys have undergone several adaptations to improve their efficiency. For example, the liver has a complex network of blood vessels to facilitate the rapid exchange of substances, while the kidneys have a highly specialized filtration system with millions of tiny filtering units called nephrons.

5. Can the liver and kidneys regenerate if damaged?

Yes, both the liver and kidneys have the ability to regenerate if damaged. The liver can regenerate up to 70% of its mass after injury, while the kidneys can repair and replace damaged nephrons. However, chronic or severe damage can impair their regenerative capacity, leading to functional impairment or failure.