How important is classification of degree (engineers)?

In summary: Instead they'll be more concerned with your performance on the job and your ability to learn and adapt. In summary, the classification of degree received is important for securing a first job, but after that, it becomes less relevant as employers focus on your practical skills and experience.
alex282
I'm asking this mainly to engineers but anyone can answer. How important is the classification of degree that you receive and what has it's impact been on your career?

I plan to work in industry and eventually towards chartered/professional status then management positions. For my MEng Electrical + Electronic Engineering degree I have one year left. My average grade for the years which count towards the degree is 66% so far, which gives a good base for achieving a 2.1 degree. My final year will count towards the other 50% of the total so I'll be looking at keeping my average above a minimum of 54% next year to obtain a 2.1 degree.

I feel like I should have tried harder to achieve a 1st class degree (>70%), however from my little experience I have seen that success is not always related to classification of degree achieved. How important is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you've got your first job, they won't care. Of course, graduate roles are competitive and your first job can impact hugely upon your career.

alex282 said:
I'm asking this mainly to engineers but anyone can answer. How important is the classification of degree that you receive and what has it's impact been on your career?

I plan to work in industry and eventually towards chartered/professional status then management positions. For my MEng Electrical + Electronic Engineering degree I have one year left. My average grade for the years which count towards the degree is 66% so far, which gives a good base for achieving a 2.1 degree. My final year will count towards the other 50% of the total so I'll be looking at keeping my average above a minimum of 54% next year to obtain a 2.1 degree.

I feel like I should have tried harder to achieve a 1st class degree (>70%), however from my little experience I have seen that success is not always related to classification of degree achieved. How important is it?
It's not clear which institutions grant such classed degrees.

In the US and other countries, you can graduate with certain honors (for example, cum laude or magna cum laude), but the criteria which are used to award such honors vary by institution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_honors

Like many, if not most, professions, there is a certain period of practical training required before the freshly-minted graduate acquires all the necessary skills, judgement, and experience to practice a profession effectively.

In my career, I have suffered many idiots who had nice looking grade point averages in school. At best, a GPA shows how well you understand the theory. It says virtually nothing about how well you might apply that theory.

In the working world, I care that someone graduated with an engineering degree. It shows commitment. However, I place a lot weight on lab and course projects that a candidate did in school. I care about what you want to do with your education, not how well someone thinks you understand it.

alex282 said:

A 2:1 is decent. It's the standard cut-off level for most graduate jobs. But after your first job, "they", usually meaning employers, aren't particularly interested in your degree classification.

1. What is the purpose of classifying degrees for engineers?

The purpose of classifying degrees for engineers is to establish a standard and consistent way to differentiate between educational levels and knowledge levels within the engineering field. This allows for better understanding and communication among professionals and potential employers.

2. How does the classification of degrees impact career opportunities for engineers?

The classification of degrees can impact career opportunities for engineers by indicating the level of education, knowledge, and skills that a candidate possesses. Employers may have specific requirements for certain positions, and having a higher classified degree may give candidates an advantage in the job market.

3. How important is obtaining a higher classified degree for an engineer's career advancement?

Obtaining a higher classified degree can be important for an engineer's career advancement as it can demonstrate a deeper understanding of the field, a commitment to ongoing education and growth, and may open up more advanced job opportunities. However, career advancement also depends on experience and other qualifications.

4. Are all engineering degrees classified in the same way?

No, not all engineering degrees are classified in the same way. The classification of degrees may vary depending on the country, institution, or accrediting body. However, most classifications follow a similar structure with undergraduate degrees being classified as bachelor's degrees and postgraduate degrees as master's or doctoral degrees.

5. How can I determine the classification of my engineering degree?

The classification of an engineering degree can typically be found on the diploma or transcript from the institution that awarded the degree. If the classification is not listed, you can contact the institution or accrediting body for more information. Additionally, you can compare the curriculum and requirements of your degree to the standard classifications to get an idea of where your degree may fall.