How increased mass and drag affect speed

In summary, the article discusses the relationship between mass, drag, and velocity in aerodynamics. It explains that increasing mass leads to a cubic function increase in speed, while increasing aerodynamic drag leads to a square function decrease in speed. This explains why heavier cyclists can go faster. The article also mentions the Drag equation and the concept of terminal velocity. It concludes by discussing the effect of mass on speed and clarifies that heavier cyclists are not just larger versions of lighter cyclists.
rc1234
Hello. I read an article about aerodynamics.

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/2873/fat-v-skinny-who-goes-downhill-faster

I'm a little bit confused with this statement regarding mass, drag, and velocity:

"When you increase the mass the speed increases by cubic function, whereas if you increase the aerodynamic drag the speed decreases by a square function. Hence why cyclists who are heavier can go faster"

I get the relationship between the aerodynamic drag and speed based on the Drag equation

Drag = 0.5 coefficient * rho * v^2 * A so v = sqrt(2mg/coefficient*rho*A)

However, I'm not sure where the cubic function for the mass and speed relationship was taken. Can someone tell explain this to me? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
rc1234 said:
I get the relationship between the aerodynamic drag and speed based on the Drag equation
Do you ? I find the wording in the link utterly confusing. Key is in
Terminal velocity is the speed at which aerodynamic drag counters the force of acceleration
Downhill acceleration force is ##mg\sin\alpha## if the slope angle is ##\alpha##. So if you put a cylinder with mass ##m## and frontal area ##A## on a saddle and let it coast downhill, the contraption will reach some terminal velocity ##v_t##. Make the radius 10% bigger and the area will increase by 10%. But the mass will increase by 20%, so the equilibrium "downhill force = drag force" allows an in crease of 5% in ##v_t## (if the coefficient doesn't change).

rc1234 said:
where the cubic function for the mass and speed relationship was taken
And right you are there: heavier folks generally are not lighter folks enlarged in three directions.

Further down the link is also confusing: the tandem bicycle has double the force and about the same air resistance on a horizontal road.

Likes vanhees71

What is mass and how does it affect speed?

Mass is the amount of matter an object contains. In terms of speed, an object with a larger mass will require more force to accelerate or maintain a certain speed compared to an object with a smaller mass. This means that an increase in mass will generally result in a decrease in speed.

How does drag affect an object's speed?

Drag is the force that acts opposite to the direction of motion, and it is caused by air resistance. As an object moves through the air, it experiences drag which creates a braking force and slows it down. An increase in drag will therefore decrease an object's speed.

What factors contribute to increased drag?

There are several factors that can contribute to increased drag, including the shape and size of the object, the speed at which it is moving, and the density of the fluid (air or water) it is moving through. Objects with larger surface areas or less streamlined shapes will experience more drag than smaller, streamlined objects.

How can we measure the effects of mass and drag on speed?

To determine the effects of mass and drag on speed, we can conduct experiments in controlled environments where we can manipulate these variables and observe their effects on an object's speed. We can also use mathematical equations and simulations to predict and analyze the relationship between mass, drag, and speed.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the effects of mass and drag on speed?

Understanding the relationship between mass, drag, and speed is crucial in many fields, such as engineering, aerodynamics, and sports. Engineers use this knowledge to design more efficient and streamlined vehicles, while athletes use it to improve their performance in sports like cycling and swimming. It also helps in predicting the flight patterns of objects, such as aircraft and projectiles.