How Is Data Specifically Defined in Algebraic Topology?

• B
  • Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, "data" in the context of topology or algebra refers to the information or map needed to perform a certain task, such as forming a quotient space. It is used informally and should not be confused with the more formal concept of information theory.
dkotschessaa
Sometimes while poking around for stuff in topology or algebra I find the word "data" used in this context, i.e. in Hatcher: (https://www.math.cornell.edu/~hatcher/AT/AT.pdf)

the data needed to do this is a map ##f : A \rightarrow X_0 ##, for then we can form a quotient space of ##X_0 \cup X_1## by identifying...

Does it just mean "information" in a general sense or is there some precise algebraic meaning?

It's impossible to just look up, since the word has so many other meanings.

-Dave K

Likes Logical Dog
Mathematics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Here's more data for your data but not sure if it's enough data to answer your data question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topological_data_analysis

Oh where is Commander Data when you need him?

This is what I meant about it being impossible to look up. If you search for "topology" and "data" you get stuff like that (which I have some familiarity with, but thank you). So unfortunately, this data about data is not the data about data that I was looking for, but data about data that I already had some data about.

I've seen the term pop up in algebra too. But nobody defines it. It just seems to means "here's some information" in which case, why say "data."

-Dave K

Likes jedishrfu
In the words paraphrased from Seinfeld (the soup episode):
No DATA for you!

Likes dkotschessaa
eba8b248df213fac1672ced7df9b65aa.jpg

I would worry more about the formal meaning of "information" than a formal meaning of "data". There is so much information theory that you wouldn't want to get tangled up with. "Data" is probably a better general term with fewer presumptions.

FactChecker said:
I would worry more about the formal meaning of "information" than a formal meaning of "data". There is so much information theory that you wouldn't want to get tangled up with. "Data" is probably a better general term with fewer presumptions.

Sure, but I still don't have a definition in this context. It just sort of shows up like a family member who I am supposed to know about but somehow don't!

It's not super important, of course. But I am just wondering why it's being used.

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
Sure, but I still don't have a definition in this context. It just sort of shows up like a family member who I am supposed to know about but somehow don't!
You can think of it as an informal "information" as long as you don't read information theory into it.
I am just wondering why it's being used.
Because it is better than "informal information without reading information theory into it". Is there a better alternative?

FactChecker said:
Is there a better alternative?

"The following map is needed..."

Likes FactChecker

Related to How Is Data Specifically Defined in Algebraic Topology?

What is data?

Data refers to any information that can be collected, stored, and analyzed. It can come in various forms such as numbers, words, images, or symbols and is used to gain insights and make informed decisions.

Why is data important in science?

Data plays a crucial role in science as it allows scientists to test hypotheses, make predictions, and draw conclusions. It also helps in identifying patterns and trends, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields.

How is data collected in science?

Data can be collected in various ways depending on the type of study or experiment. It can be collected through observation, surveys, experiments, or by using specialized instruments and equipment.

What are the different types of data?

There are two main types of data: quantitative and qualitative. Quantitative data is numerical and can be measured and analyzed using statistical methods, while qualitative data is descriptive and often requires interpretation and analysis of words and images.

How is data analyzed in science?

Data analysis in science involves organizing, cleaning, and interpreting the collected data to draw meaningful conclusions. This can be done using various statistical methods and software tools, which help in identifying patterns and relationships within the data.