How is DWT in container ships achived?

In summary: Center_of_buoyancyIn summary, the Deadweight Tonnage (DWT) is a rating not a limit. How they get to that point is a complicated process.
karamss
Hi there, in martime terms DWT includes the containers weight as well. What i don't understand is how is it achieved? All ships specifications of container capacty has higher weight than the DWT.

Engineering news on Phys.org
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadweight_tonnage

Even in that article, they mention multiple definitions for DWT. Those definitions can get very complicated and specific, just like the Plimsol Line and the other lines painted on the side.

It may be hard to find someone here at PF who knows the exact answer. But, be patient a few more days and see what other answers you might get.

anorlunda said:
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadweight_tonnage

Even in that article, they mention multiple definitions for DWT. Those definitions can get very complicated and specific, just like the Plimsol Line and the other lines painted on the side.

It may be hard to find someone here at PF who knows the exact answer. But, be patient a few more days and see what other answers you might get.
Hi thanks for the reply anorlunda!

I checked the wiki and also checked a more reliable source which has the same difinition that i provided.

http://www.themaritimesite.com/a-guide-to-understanding-ship-weight-and-tonnage-measurements/#

provided that one container can hold around 30tons. the capacty is always higher than the DWT by alot.

https://www.marineinsight.com/know-more/10-worlds-biggest-container-ships-2017/amp/#comment-1659253

Its ok I am just curious how they do it

Last edited:
Just as a note, the TEU is the total volume (in containers), not the cargo weight, that the ship can transport, so it cannot be compared to the DWT of the cargo vessel.

JBA said:
Just as a note, the TEU is the total volume (in containers), not the cargo weight, that the ship can transport, so it cannot be compared to the DWT of the cargo vessel.

thanks a lot but then what's the point of the teu if i cannot know the real weight a ship can transport?

karamss said:
thanks a lot but then what's the point of the teu if i cannot know the real weight a ship can transport?
Maybe someone is shipping a load of Teddy Bears for the kids; low weight but high volume. Versus a shipload of machinery parts. :wink:

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Maybe someone is shipping a load of Teddy Bears for the kids; low weight but high volume. Versus a shipload of machinery parts. :wink:

Cheers,
Tom
i take my previous comment back this makes sense. thanks a lot Tom!

Last edited:
the container cranes at the ports also log the weight of each container as they load ships prioritizing the placement for the most stable stacks and lowering the center of gravity. what the limits and procedures to meet the ships limits are you'd probably need to ask the port authority for a lead to who

They really need to know the weights before the containers get to the cranes for priority loading or they wouldn't know how select correctly. Maybe all incoming vehicles carrying containers are weighed as they enter the port.

Apart from that, it doesn't make any sense to me that they don't have some standard weight because the published DWT is not changed at every ship loading. I was thinking that it is easier for tankers; but, then again it depends upon the density of the liquid they carrying.

They actually do pre weigh the containers but they also stack them on shore in order before they load the ships.

karamss said:
All ships specifications of container capacty has higher weight than the DWT.

The DWT is a rating not a limit. How they get to that point is a complicated process. I would recommend getting a little more understanding of Metacentric height or GM.

The heal angle of a ship and the righting moment developed at that angle is related to the height of the center of Gravity above the center of Buoyancy (basic definition of GM). As a ship settles into the water the submerged portion changes shape which affects a change in the geometric center of the submerged portion or Center of Buoyancy. Each container adds weight to the overall weight, it also adds to relational changes in the balance or Center of Gravity. This height difference also affects the rate that the forces develop and decrease. This is codified on a ship by what is called "Cross Curves of Stability." These are a multi axis graph that shows the righting moment developed at a particular GM and a determined total weight.
As a ship is loaded the overall stability is calculated and the final load point is chosen for a stability determined to be acceptable. This usually takes form as a prescribed ultimate stability. This is remember a calculation on the total load and the physical change in GM. It is possible by careful loading of a ship to adjust the
GM and thus to keep the ultimate stability within the rating.

Check out cross curves of stability and look a little further into how they reflect the action of a ship at sea. I think you will find more of your answer. The short answer of how DWT is determined is that this is the maximum weight under fabricated conditions that stability is acceptable. What I am reading into your question is " How can they routinely exceed the limit?" The answer is that with proper, calculated loading, the stability can be preserved to a weight beyond the fabrication.

Likes anorlunda

1. What is DWT in container ships?

DWT stands for "deadweight tonnage" and it is the total weight a ship can carry, including cargo, fuel, and other supplies. It is an important measure of a ship's capacity and efficiency.

2. How is DWT calculated?

DWT is calculated by taking the total weight of a ship when it is fully loaded, including cargo, fuel, and other supplies, and subtracting the weight of the ship when it is empty (known as "lightweight"). The difference between these two weights is the deadweight tonnage.

3. How is DWT in container ships achieved?

DWT in container ships is achieved through careful design and construction of the ship. This includes optimizing the hull shape and size, as well as choosing materials and equipment that are lightweight but still strong enough to withstand the stresses of the open sea.

4. What are some factors that can affect DWT in container ships?

Some factors that can affect DWT in container ships include the ship's design and construction, the type and amount of cargo being carried, weather conditions, and the overall condition and maintenance of the ship.

5. How does DWT impact a ship's performance?

DWT can greatly impact a ship's performance, as it affects the ship's speed, stability, and fuel efficiency. A higher DWT means the ship can carry more cargo, but it may also be slower and less maneuverable. On the other hand, a lower DWT may result in a faster and more agile ship, but with less carrying capacity.