How is power transfered in a transformer exactly?

In summary, the power is transferred from the primary to the secondary by the alternating magnetic flux generated by the primary. The alternating magnetic flux induces a voltage which if the secondary is closed will cause a current to flow.
nemesiswes
Hi, I know that power is transferred from the primary to the secondary by the alternating magnetic flux generated by the primary. The alternating magnetic flux induces a voltage which if the secondary is closed will cause a current to flow.

What I want to know is how exactly is the power transferred? I know that when current flows through the secondary, the secondary reduces the flux in the core and this then causes the primary to pull more current because of the reduced back-emf on its self. Less flux means with the same rate of change, you have less back-emf opposing the primary's current and thus the primary increases it's current pull to compensate. I believe if I am correct that this is the how power is transferred but I am not 100% sure. Is this correct? If not then how is the power transferred.

Physics news on Phys.org
So is the reason I got no answers because this is in the wrong place? I figured it should be in classical physics because it deals with electromagnetism.

Does no one really know the answer exactly?

Or did I basically explain the answer already and I was correct, so there was no need for a reply, lol.
I am sure even if I did explain it pretty good already, I am almost certain I am missing something that could be further explained.

So nobody knows how? Is it too complex to explain and that's why there are no answers?

Basically your understanding is correct.

Really? Well apparently I have a better grasp of them then I thought, lol.

Thanks a lot, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't to far off from how they work, I have been doing a lot of research on transformers and not just how they work in general but like at the very fundamental level how they work.

Related to How is power transfered in a transformer exactly?

1. What is a transformer and how does it work?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through the principle of electromagnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of insulated wire, known as windings, that are placed close to each other but are not electrically connected. When an alternating current (AC) flows through the primary winding, it creates a constantly changing magnetic field which induces a voltage in the secondary winding, transferring power from the primary to the secondary circuit.

2. What are the components of a transformer and what are their roles?

The main components of a transformer are the primary and secondary windings, a magnetic core, and insulation material. The primary winding receives the input voltage and current, while the secondary winding delivers the output voltage and current. The magnetic core is made of a material with high magnetic permeability, such as iron, which helps to focus and increase the strength of the magnetic field. The insulation material prevents the windings from coming into direct contact with each other and ensures the safety of the transformer.

3. How is power transferred from the primary to the secondary winding?

Power is transferred from the primary to the secondary winding through the process of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current flows through the primary winding, it creates a constantly changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces a voltage in the secondary winding, which in turn creates a current in the secondary circuit. The amount of power transferred depends on the number of turns in the windings, the frequency of the current, and the characteristics of the magnetic core.

4. What determines the efficiency of a transformer?

The efficiency of a transformer is determined by several factors, including the quality of the materials used, the design and construction of the transformer, and the operating conditions. The choice of materials for the windings and core can greatly affect the efficiency of the transformer. The design of the transformer, such as the number of turns and the size of the core, also plays a role in its efficiency. Additionally, the temperature and frequency of the current can impact the efficiency of a transformer.

5. Is power transfer in a transformer affected by the number of windings?

Yes, the number of windings in a transformer directly affects the amount of power that can be transferred. The ratio of the number of turns in the primary winding to the number of turns in the secondary winding determines the ratio of input to output voltage. For example, if there are twice as many turns in the secondary winding as in the primary winding, the output voltage will be twice the input voltage. The number of windings also affects the efficiency of the transformer, with more windings typically resulting in a higher efficiency.