How is the area under a curve determined using the Fundamental Theorem?

• Thread starter DecayProduct
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fundamental
In summary: That's what the integral does!In summary, integration does not guess the curve between a and b, but rather computes the general form of the area formula by evaluating the function at the endpoints and subtracting the two values. This is possible because the integral is defined as the area under the curve bounded by the function, the x-axis, and the vertical lines at the endpoints. The fundamental theorem of calculus shows that this computation is equivalent to finding the "average slope" of a function F whose slope at any point is equal to the function being integrated. Therefore, in order to calculate the area under a curve, we must follow the height of the function all the way from a to b, rather than just evaluating it at the two endpoints.
DecayProduct
So, the area under a curve is determined by F(b) - F(a), how does that take into account the changing area between the two extremes, a and b? I mean, since F(b) and F(a) are specific values at the ends of the graph, how is the area in between figured into it, especially if the graph is really wild instead of smooth like, say, x2?

Physics news on Phys.org
You put another formula inside the integral, instead of the smooth one, and integrate?

It does not guess the curve between a and b. You compute the general form of the area formula by integrating, then you compute the area up to point 'b'. Also you compute the area up to point 'a'. Then if you subtract from the first one (F(b)-F(a)!), you get the difference of areas. I think I am still amazed by it.

Please keep in mind that integration goes way beyond what we discuss here... But still so beautiful.

DecayProduct said:
So, the area under a curve is determined by F(b) - F(a), how does that take into account the changing area between the two extremes, a and b? I mean, since F(b) and F(a) are specific values at the ends of the graph, how is the area in between figured into it, especially if the graph is really wild instead of smooth like, say, x2?

The function F here is not the function you are integrating, call it f. The integral computes the area formula for the function f, which is then determined over an interval by the values of F at the endpoints. http://books.google.com/books?id=_k...+of+calculus+courant&ei=yG1dSqyAHo3OMomhvY0H" is a good explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies and the link. I'm reading that now, so the answer may be in that. But I will give a simple example. Let's say I have f(x) = x2. Now, I want to know the area under the curve from 0 to 1.

The way I understand it, I take the integral [tex]\int_{0}^{1} x^2dx[/tex]. So the antiderivative of x2 is [tex]\frac{1}{3}x^3[/tex]. Evaluating at 1 gives me [tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex] and at 0 gives me 0, so my area is [tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

But I only computed values for two locations on the graph, and subtracted one from the other. How is the changing graph between the two points taken into account? The graph rises rapidly from 0 to 1, yet I only evaluated those two points. How does the integral "know" about the rest?

Because finding [itex]F(x)= \int_a^x f(t)dt[/itex] requires all the values between a and b!

What definition of [itex]\int_a^x f(t)dt[/itex] did you learn? One commonly used definition is that it is the area of the region bounded by y= 0, y= f(x), x= a, and the variable vertical line at x. Another is, of course, an "anti-derivative"- the function whose derivative is f(x) and whose value at x= a is 0. It was being able to prove that those two things are the same, the "Fundamental Theorem" you refer to, That made Newton and Leibniz the "founders" of Calculus.

You can think about it (very informally) this way. Say you want to find the area under f from a to b. You would take the "average height" of f between a and b and multiply that by (b-a). Imagine any function F whose slope at x is equal to f(x) for any x between a and b (that is, F'(x) = f(x)). Then the "average slope" of F between a and b is equal to the slope of the line drawn between the points (a,F(a)) and (b,F(b)), which is [F(b)-F(a)]/(b-a) (just take rise over run). Since f measures the slope of F, the "average slope" of F would be the "average height" of f. Thus we have area = ("average height" of f)*(b-a) = ("average slope" of F)*(b-a) = {[F(b)-F(a)]/(b-a)}*(b-a) = F(b)-F(a). You can see that you must follow the height of f all the way from a to b in order to know the slope of F from a to b and thus calculate the "average slope" of F from a to b.

Related to How is the area under a curve determined using the Fundamental Theorem?

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that links the concepts of differentiation and integration. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and has an antiderivative, then the definite integral of the function over that interval can be evaluated using the antiderivative.

2. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus applied?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is applied in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving area, volume, and other quantities that can be represented by integrals.

3. What is the relationship between the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Area under a curve?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the area under a curve can be calculated by finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the endpoints of the interval. In other words, it provides a way to find the area under a curve using integration.

4. What is the difference between the First and Second Fundamental Theorems of Calculus?

The First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus relates the concept of differentiation to integration, while the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus provides a method for evaluating definite integrals. In other words, the first theorem explains the relationship between the two concepts, while the second theorem is a practical application of the first.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate the area under a curve, which has practical applications in finding the volume of irregularly shaped objects, calculating work done by a variable force, and determining the value of a financial derivative. It is also used in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum area of a field with a fixed perimeter.