How long does it take for gravitational effects to work?

In summary, the ball only has a velocity of 0(m/s) for a finite amount of time, but it never stops moving.
IEP617
Imagine a ball being tossed into 'the air'. At its peak, the ball has a velocity of 0(m/s), but how long does it actually have this velocity for? --> Neglecting the effects of air-resistance.

Obviously the ball undergoes constant 'g' the whole time, but the answer to my question doesn't relate to that. I'm seeking to understand / learn how long the ball actually hangs in mid-air; e.g. 0.01s ? 0.001s ? etc.

I sincerely appreciate everybody that contributes here, but I am seeking a 'what you know for a fact' reply, not 'what you think is correct'; this is why I have classified the question as 'Advanced'.

If anybody can point me to some experimental results, I would be greatly appreciative.

Physics news on Phys.org
IEP617 said:
Imagine a ball being tossed into 'the air'. At its peak, the ball has a velocity of 0(m/s), but how long does it actually have this velocity for?

A continually accelerating object has a single velocity for an infinitesimal amount of time. I'd call it 'zero', but I feel the mathematical concept of infinitesimals works better when talking about a continuous process since calculus, the mathematics of continuous change, is exactly what we need to analyze this kind of problem.

Likes russ_watters
Thanks for that, I appreciate your reply ... Let me give you a bit more meat around the problem I'm investigating. Let's imagine that we have some apparatus that can eliminate 99.9% of 'g'; let's call it an anti-gravity machine ... But, let's first imagine that the gravitational acceleration field of the Earth can be modeled as 'some kind' of ElectroMagnetic phenomenon. So, 'The Earth' is beaming its gravity into space like an RF generator; remember, this is all imaginary, I'm not referring to the hard-science documentaries like 'The Avengers' etc.

Now let's imagine that we have an "anti-gravity" apparatus that broadcasts an EM Wave that can destructively interfere with the Earth's EM Wave (its 'gravity' wave). Imagine that I can only eliminate 99.9% of the Earths gravitational acceleration wave (every 0.13 seconds for example). With the remaining '<1%', can I 'somehow' keep Thanos' spaceship floating because it takes a certain amount of time for the uncancelled '<1%' gravitational acceleration wave to act? ... Get me ?

For example: if the period between pulses is 0.13(s), but it takes 0.001(s) for real-world gravity to act; do I have a problem ?

Once you invoke new laws of physics, you can get any answer you like.

IEP617 said:
this is all imaginary

Which makes it out of scope for discussion here. We can't answer questions about what the laws of physics predict in an imaginary scenario that violates the laws of physics.

Thread closed.

Likes davenn

1. How long does it take for gravitational effects to work on objects?

Gravitational effects work on objects instantaneously. As soon as an object with mass is placed in a gravitational field, it will experience a force due to gravity. This force is proportional to the mass of the object and the strength of the gravitational field.

2. Does the distance between objects affect the time it takes for gravitational effects to work?

Yes, the distance between objects does affect the time it takes for gravitational effects to work. According to Newton's Law of Gravitation, the force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. Therefore, the farther apart two objects are, the weaker the gravitational force between them will be.

3. Can gravitational effects work in a vacuum?

Yes, gravitational effects can work in a vacuum. In fact, the force of gravity is the only force that can act on objects in a vacuum. This is because gravity does not require a medium to propagate, unlike other forces such as sound or light.

4. How long does it take for gravitational effects to work on a large scale, such as between planets?

The time it takes for gravitational effects to work on a large scale, such as between planets, depends on the mass and distance of the objects involved. For example, the gravitational pull between the Earth and the Sun takes approximately 8 minutes and 20 seconds to travel the 93 million miles between them.

5. Can gravitational effects be shielded or blocked?

No, gravitational effects cannot be shielded or blocked. Unlike other forces, such as electromagnetism, there is no known way to block or shield gravitational forces. This is because gravity is a fundamental force of nature and is always present between objects with mass.