How long to rotate *One* degree?

In summary, if you want to convert radian to degrees, you need to divide by the "speed" in radians per second, then divide by the number of degrees you want to convert.
AlecWins
Moved from technical forum, so no template
Hi,

Feels like a simple one but for reason I am stumped.

If I am rotating at 11.2 rad/s, how long will it take to rotate ONE single degree?

-
Converting 11.2 rad/s into °/s, I get 641.71 °/s. So, this is equivalent to 1.783 rev/s.
At this point, do I divide 1 revolution by how many degrees I travel per second i.e. 1/641.71?
Or
Do I divide by the number of revolutions per second i.e. 1.783/641.71?

What would be the solution to the time taken to rotate one single degree when rotating at 11.2 rad/s?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
AlecWins said:
how long will it take to rotate ONE single degree?... I get 641.71 °/s.
Replace the number with simpler one, like 2 °/s, and think how you would compute the answer to your question then.

Always helpful to include the units in your math - the units are multiplied divided, and canceled the same as the numbers...or ion this case - write down the units you want to answer to be in, so you can see the necessary steps.

so you are asking how to get s/° (seconds (time) to move (per) One Degree) but you have °/s...

Windadct said:
so you are asking how to get s/° (seconds (time) to move (per) One Degree) but you have °/s...
Thanks for the clarification, so doing 1/641.71 would convert it to s/° which is what I am ultimately looking for. Makes sense now.

AlecWins said:
Hi,

Feels like a simple one but for reason I am stumped.

If I am rotating at 11.2 rad/s, how long will it take to rotate ONE single degree?

-
Converting 11.2 rad/s into °/s, I get 641.71 °/s. So, this is equivalent to 1.783 rev/s.
At this point, do I divide 1 revolution by how many degrees I travel per second i.e. 1/641.71?
Or
Do I divide by the number of revolutions per second i.e. 1.783/641.71?

What would be the solution to the time taken to rotate one single degree when rotating at 11.2 rad/s?

Thanks.

Wouldn't this be easier if you convert 1 degree into radian? You already know the "speed" is 11.2 rad/s. You now need to find the time it takes to "move" 1 radian.

If you are confused with this, try this equivalent situation. You are moving with speed of 11.2 m/s. How long does it take for you to move 1 m?

Zz.

1. How long would it take to rotate one degree?

The amount of time it takes to rotate one degree can vary depending on the speed of rotation. For example, if you rotate at a constant speed of one revolution per minute, it would take 60 seconds to rotate one degree.

2. Is there a standard amount of time for rotating one degree?

No, there is no standard amount of time for rotating one degree as it depends on the speed of rotation and the object being rotated.

3. How does the size of the object affect the time it takes to rotate one degree?

The size of the object can affect the time it takes to rotate one degree. For instance, a larger object will take longer to rotate one degree compared to a smaller object if they are rotating at the same speed.

4. Can you calculate the time it takes to rotate one degree?

Yes, the time it takes to rotate one degree can be calculated by dividing the angle of rotation (in degrees) by the angular velocity (in degrees per unit of time). For example, if the angle of rotation is 360 degrees and the angular velocity is 1 revolution per minute, it would take 60 seconds to rotate one degree.

5. Does the material of the object affect the time it takes to rotate one degree?

Yes, the material of the object can affect the time it takes to rotate one degree. Objects with more mass or a higher density may take longer to rotate one degree compared to objects with less mass or a lower density, even if they are rotating at the same speed.