How long will a rotating magnet generate electricity?

• Thread starter physior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, a magnet can generate electricity from moving a wire next to it. The amount of electricity generated depends on the size and shape of the magnet, as well as how long it is rotated. The magnet will last indefinitely if it is not actively used, but it will eventually lose its ability to generate electricity.
physior
hello!

If I rotate a metallic cylinder that is a permanent magnet, it will generate electricity in a wire next to it?

for how long it will generate electricity? forever? or it phases out as the magnetic energy transforms to electricity? how long it will last approximately?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnet can't just be a cylinder, it needs to be polarized. Individual magnets arranged in a circle would do it. You are roughly trying to describe a generator.

And it will continue to generate electricity until you stop rotating it or its parts wear out. In the real world, that takes several decades.

thanks
why it can't be a cylinder?
I can only use a cylinder or a tube! isn't there a way to be it magnetic?
also, can I make it magnetic? will it still take decades to phase out? it will give electricity for decades? what amount of electricity?

for how long it will generate electricity? forever? or it phases out as the magnetic energy transforms to electricity?

A magnet is not a source or store of energy.

Ultimately the energy produced comes from whatever is spinning the magnet. The energy does not come from the magnet so it doesn't "wear out" the magnet.

how is not magnet a store of energy? it has the potential to produce work by moving a magnetic item!

physior said:
thanks
why it can't be a cylinder?
I can only use a cylinder or a tube! isn't there a way to be it magnetic?
also, can I make it magnetic? will it still take decades to phase out? it will give electricity for decades? what amount of electricity?
So this is for an assignment? Without knowing the details of the assignment, I'd just be guessing about what you should do.

physior said:
how is not magnet a store of energy? it has the potential to produce work by moving a magnetic item!
That work is symmetrical/conserved. And more to the point, the magnetic field isn't consumed when doing the work. Picture it like a mass bouncing on a spring.

physior said:
hello!

If I rotate a metallic cylinder that is a permanent magnet, it will generate electricity in a wire next to it?

for how long it will generate electricity? forever? or it phases out as the magnetic energy transforms to electricity? how long it will last approximately?

thanks

Here is some introductory reading that should help you understand how magnet-based generators work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_generator

:-)

What is the difference between magnetism and electricity?

Magnetism and electricity are both fundamental forces of nature, but they have distinct characteristics. Magnetism is the force that causes objects with opposite poles (north and south) to attract each other and objects with the same poles to repel each other. Electricity, on the other hand, is the flow of electric charge through conductive materials. While both forces involve the movement of particles, magnetism is primarily caused by the alignment of electrons in an object, whereas electricity is caused by the movement of those electrons.

How does magnetism create electricity?

Magnetism and electricity are closely related through a phenomenon called electromagnetic induction. This occurs when a magnetic field is applied to a conductor, causing the electrons within the conductor to move and create an electric current. This process is the basis for many electrical devices, such as generators and motors.

What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. This creates a magnetic field that can be turned on or off by controlling the flow of electricity. Electromagnets are used in many applications, such as speakers, MRI machines, and electric motors.

Can magnetism be used to store electricity?

Yes, magnetism can be used to store electricity in devices called magnets. These devices consist of a coil of wire wrapped around a ferromagnetic core, such as iron or steel. When an electric current is passed through the coil, a magnetic field is created, and this field is stored in the core. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field collapses, causing a current to be induced in the coil. This process can be repeated to store and release electricity as needed.

How is magnetism used in everyday life?

Magnetism is used in a wide variety of everyday objects and devices. Some common uses of magnetism include refrigerator magnets, credit card strips, and speakers. Magnetism is also used in more advanced technologies, such as hard drives, electric motors, and medical imaging machines. Additionally, the Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in navigation and animal migration.