How many 7-digit numbers are divisible by 7 and composed of digits 1-7?

In summary, there are 720 seven-digit numbers that are permutations of 1-7 and divisible by 7. This can be proven algebraically using the fact that a number divisible by 7 must end in 7 or 0, and only the numbers ending in 7 are included in this case. The remaining 6 digits can be any permutation of 1-6, giving a total of 6! = 720 possibilities.
Submitted by @PeroK

Consider all 7-digit numbers which are a permutation of the digits 1-7. How many of these are divisible by 7?

Can you prove the answer algebraically, rather than simply counting them?

Please make use of the spoiler tag

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well that was fun and kept me up another 20 minutes when I should be sleeping ... :oops:

Well I can solve it easily in base 14. A number divisible by 7 ends either in 7 or 0. Since 0 is excluded, that leaves us only with numbers ending in 7. Thus the remaining 6 digits can have any permutation of the 6 integers 1 to 6, and the answer would be 6! = 720.

But that's probably not what you intended :P

The urge to count them was irresistible... but I did think about it first.
The pattern of 10^k mod 7 is {1,3,2,6,4,5,1} with the repeat just starting. As far as I could see there was nothing favouring one outcome of modulo 7 result over another, so my initial expectation was that one-seventh of all possible permutations would be divisible by 7 - and so it turned out, 7!/7 = 6! = 720.

But that was luck. All permutations of 1..8 gave not 8!/7 =5760, but 5768 numbers divisible by 7.

I haven't yet come up with a good non-brute-force derivation of 720.

Joffan said:
The urge to count them was irresistible... but I did think about it first.
The pattern of 10^k mod 7 is {1,3,2,6,4,5,1} with the repeat just starting. As far as I could see there was nothing favouring one outcome of modulo 7 result over another, so my initial expectation was that one-seventh of all possible permutations would be divisible by 7 - and so it turned out, 7!/7 = 6! = 720.

But that was luck. All permutations of 1..8 gave not 8!/7 =5760, but 5768 numbers divisible by 7.

I haven't yet come up with a good non-brute-force derivation of 720.

The naive expectation is true for all numbers except 3, 6, and 9 (the naive expectation being number of permutations of 1-k divisible by k is (k-1)!). For example:
For 2: 12, 21, where one ((2-1)! = 1! = 1) of them is divisible by two.
For 3: 123, 231, 312, 132, 321, 213 - all of them divisible by three.
You now have a + b + 2c + 3d + 4e + 5f + 6g mod 7, where a-g are is a permutation of 1-7. The trick here is to show that for a given permutation which is divisible by 7, there are also 6 which are not - any element of the permutation group with order 7 should do (although some may be more suited than others).

1. What is Challenge 24: 7-digit numbers?

Challenge 24: 7-digit numbers is a math puzzle game in which players must use four numbers from 0-9 to create an equation that equals 24. The numbers can be used in any order and any combination of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do I play Challenge 24: 7-digit numbers?

To play Challenge 24: 7-digit numbers, you must first select four numbers from 0-9. Then, using these numbers, you must create an equation that equals 24. You can use any combination of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, but each number can only be used once in the equation. The goal is to use all four numbers and reach a total of 24.

3. Is there a time limit for solving Challenge 24: 7-digit numbers?

No, there is no time limit for solving Challenge 24: 7-digit numbers. Players can take as much time as they need to come up with a solution.

4. Can the numbers be used in any order in Challenge 24: 7-digit numbers?

Yes, the numbers can be used in any order in Challenge 24: 7-digit numbers. This adds to the challenge and creativity of the game.

5. Are there any restrictions on the use of numbers in Challenge 24: 7-digit numbers?

The only restriction for using numbers in Challenge 24: 7-digit numbers is that each number can only be used once in the equation. Other than that, players have the freedom to use the numbers in any combination they choose.