How Many $90 and $120 Tickets Were Sold at the Concert?

• Thread starter Izekid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Economics
In summary, at the music concert with an income of $85500, 800 tickets were sold in total. There were two types of tickets, one for $90 and one for $120. To solve for the number of each ticket sold, you can use the equation M = pxX + pyY, with two unknown variables X and Y. You will need another equation to solve for both variables. A hint is that X + Y equals the total number of tickets sold.
Izekid
To a music consert there were an Income of 85500$
There were 2 types of tickets sold, one that cost 90$ and one that cost 120$. Totaly there were 800 tickets sold, how many of each ticket was sold.

Here I Shall use the ordinary math equation M = pxX + pyY and solve the equation, and I have no idea how to solve it!?

Please Help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Izekid said:
To a music consert there were an Income of 85500$
There were 2 types of tickets sold, one that cost 90$ and one that cost 120$. Totaly there were 800 tickets sold, how many of each ticket was sold.

Here I Shall use the ordinary math equation M = pxX + pyY and solve the equation, and I have no idea how to solve it!?
You should help us out and let us know what the variables M, px, X, py, and Y stand for, for two reasons:
1) it makes it easier for us,
2) It shows us that you know how to interpret that equation.

You need as many equations as there are unknown variables. Here you have two unknown variables X and Y, the number sold of each type of ticket. You have only one equation so far so you need another one.

hint: what does X + Y equal?

Last edited:
!

I would like to clarify that this is not a question related to national economics. This is a basic math problem that can be solved using simple algebraic equations. The equation you have mentioned, M = pxX + pyY, is known as the general form of a linear equation, where M represents the total income, p represents the price of the tickets, X represents the number of tickets sold at price p, and Y represents the number of tickets sold at another price.

To solve this equation, we first need to create two equations using the given information.

Equation 1: 90X + 120Y = 85500 (Total income equation)
Equation 2: X + Y = 800 (Total number of tickets sold equation)

Next, we can use the substitution method or the elimination method to solve for the values of X and Y.

Substitution method:
- Solve Equation 2 for X: X = 800 - Y
- Substitute this value of X into Equation 1: 90(800 - Y) + 120Y = 85500
- Simplify the equation: 72000 - 90Y + 120Y = 85500
- Combine like terms: 30Y = 13500
- Solve for Y: Y = 450
- Substitute this value of Y into Equation 2 to find X: X = 800 - 450 = 350

Therefore, 350 tickets were sold at $90 each and 450 tickets were sold at $120 each.

Elimination method:
- Multiply Equation 2 by -90: -90X - 90Y = -72000
- Add this equation to Equation 1: -90X + 90X - 90Y + 120Y = -72000 + 85500
- Simplify the equation: 30Y = 13500
- Solve for Y: Y = 450
- Substitute this value of Y into Equation 2 to find X: X = 800 - 450 = 350

As you can see, both methods give the same result. Therefore, 350 tickets were sold at $90 each and 450 tickets were sold at $120 each. I hope this helps you to understand how to solve this problem. If you need further assistance, please reach out to a math tutor or your teacher for additional support.

Related to How Many $90 and $120 Tickets Were Sold at the Concert?

1. What is national economics?

National economics is the study of how a country produces, distributes, and consumes goods and services. It also includes the analysis of economic policies and their impact on the overall economy.

2. Why is national economics important?

National economics is important because it helps us understand how a country's economy functions and how different policies can affect its growth and stability. It also provides insights into the standard of living and economic well-being of a country's citizens.

3. What is the role of math in national economics?

Math is essential in national economics as it helps economists collect, analyze, and interpret data to make informed decisions and predictions about the economy. It also provides a framework for understanding complex economic concepts and modeling economic relationships.

4. How is national economics measured?

National economics is measured using various indicators such as Gross Domestic Product (GDP), inflation rate, unemployment rate, consumer spending, and trade balance. These indicators provide a snapshot of the overall health and performance of a country's economy.

5. What are some common math concepts used in national economics?

Some common math concepts used in national economics include statistics, calculus, algebra, and linear programming. These concepts are used to analyze economic data, create economic models, and make predictions about the future state of the economy.