How many amino acids are in the hemoglobin of humans, gorillas, and horses?

In summary, the conversation discusses counting the amino acids in the hemoglobin of humans, gorillas, and horses. The speaker is hesitant to count themselves and asks for others to post the numbers they have found. They also mention that using tools or databases can help with counting and that the question is a bit unclear. They also ask for others to post the exact numbers for all the amino acids.
moonman239
I'm doing a lab and my biology teacher specifically told me to count the amino acids found in the hemoglobin of the aforementioned animals. Since I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd rather not count, and I cannot for the life of me find the numbers on the Internet, I figured I would post what numbers I have. I should mention that my mom helped me.

DISCLAIMER: Whether or not this would be considered cheating depends entirely upon the cheating policies you have to follow.

Number of alanine amino acids in humans, gorillas & horses: 15
Number of valine amino acids in humans: 18

Fellow PF members, feel free to correct the numbers I post, but please do not add the number of any other amino acids, otherwise I may just skip counting and I don't really know what my teacher would do if he ever found out I "cheated" and and looked it up - though he might be OK.

Physics news on Phys.org

Ygggdrasil said:
1) You can find the amino acid sequences of these hemoglobins in various databases, such as Genbank (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genbank/).

2) There are tools available that will count the numbers of each type of amino acid, for example, http://web.expasy.org/protparam/ or http://www.bioinformatics.org/sms2/protein_stats.html

I'll also note that the question is a bit unclear since hemoglobin is composed of four molecules of two different polypeptides (α- and β-globulin).

Yes. Oh, and PF members, please feel free to post the exact numbers of all the amino acids. I already turned in my lab this morning, but I still want these numbers to be posted in this thread because it is the only result on Google that anyone searching for "number of x amino acids in (human/horse/gorilla) hemoglobin" will care about.

Question 1: What is the total number of amino acids in human, gorilla, and horse hemoglobin?

The total number of amino acids in human hemoglobin is 574, in gorilla hemoglobin is 575, and in horse hemoglobin is 568.

Question 2: Why is there a difference in the number of amino acids between the hemoglobin of different species?

The number of amino acids in hemoglobin can vary due to genetic differences between species. Different genes code for different amino acids, resulting in variations in the total number. Environmental factors and evolutionary changes can also play a role in these variations.

Question 3: How does the number of amino acids affect the function of hemoglobin?

The number of amino acids in hemoglobin is crucial for its function, as each amino acid plays a specific role in the protein's structure and function. Any changes in the number of amino acids can affect the protein's ability to bind and carry oxygen, which is the primary function of hemoglobin.

Question 4: Are there any other factors besides the number of amino acids that can affect hemoglobin's function?

Yes, besides the number of amino acids, other factors can affect hemoglobin's function. These include environmental factors such as pH and temperature, as well as genetic mutations that can alter the amino acid sequence and structure of hemoglobin. Diseases and disorders can also impact hemoglobin's function.

Question 5: Is there a significant difference in the number of amino acids between species?

Yes, there can be a significant difference in the number of amino acids between species. For example, human hemoglobin has 574 amino acids, while the hemoglobin of a whale has 1,449 amino acids. These variations are due to evolutionary changes and adaptations to different environments and lifestyles.