How many family members originally had to share $6570?

Mark44The original problem statement is to find the original number of family members. In this case, x should be a positive integer, so x=26.25 does not make sense in the context of the problem. The answer should be a positive integer, not a decimal. Also, the answer for S should also be a positive integer in this context. So the solution is not correct. In summary, the problem is to find the original number of family members when a sum of $6570 is divided among them, but 9 other family members also claim a share, reducing the individual share by $120. The equation to solve is 6570/(x+9) = S-120, where x represents the
tinybang
Am a little stuck on a question in my maths homework. Here goes. $6570 to be divided among members of a family. 9 other members of the family find out about the cash and insist on there share. as a result the share was reduced by $120.

Find original number of family members.

So far I've got.
S=Individual share of money
X=Original number of family members

S-120= $6570/x+9
(x+9)(S-120)=6570
XS-x120+S9-1080=6570
XS-x120+S9=7650

Am not sure if I am on the right track or not and I am not sure where to go from here. Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
tinybang said:
Am a little stuck on a question in my maths homework. Here goes. $6570 to be divided among members of a family. 9 other members of the family find out about the cash and insist on there share. as a result the share was reduced by $120.

Find original number of family members.

So far I've got.
S=Individual share of money
X=Original number of family members

S-120= $6570/x+9
Use parentheses. It has to be written $6570/(x+9)

tinybang said:
(x+9)(S-120)=6570
XS-x120+S9-1080=6570
XS-x120+S9=7650

Am not sure if I am on the right track or not and I am not sure where to go from here. Any help appreciated.

It is the right track, but you can write S in terms of x. If $6570 is divided among x people, what is the share of one person?

ehild

What do you mean by write S in terms of X?

S is the original share, 6570 divided by among people. How do you write it mathematically?

ehild

Should i divide both sides by XS? I know i need to isolate one of the terms. Just not sure how to go about it.

tinybang said:
Should i divide both sides by XS? I know i need to isolate one of the terms. Just not sure how to go about it.

No. Answer my question. What is the amount one person gets if 6570 is divided among x people?

Say, there are 10 people in the family, so x=10. How much one person gets?

ehild

6570/x+9 6570/19 = 324.73

No, I meant the original amount, they got before the other family members arrived.

You share 24 apples among 4 people, how many apples does on person get? If two more persons come and they also want their share, hove many it will be?

And I do not understand what you wanted to say. You wrote that 6570 is divided by x and 96570 divided by 19 and the ratios added. Where did you get that 96570 from? If x=10, that sum is 5740 instead of 324.73.

ehild

tinybang said:

Wrong.
[tex] \frac{6570}{x} + 9 \neq 324.73[/tex]
If you mean
[tex] \frac{6570}{x+9}[/tex]
then take the trouble to write it properly, using parentheses, like this: 6570/(x+9). It is not hard to do, and makes everything much more readable.

Ray Vickson said:
If you mean
[tex] \frac{6570}{x+9}[/tex]
then take the trouble to write it properly, using parentheses, like this: 6570/(x+9). It is not hard to do, and makes everything much more readable.
To the OP,
6570/x + 9 means ##\frac{6570}{x} + 9##, which is not what you intended. As Ray says, use parentheses to write what you mean.

Also, what you wrote in the earlier post is missing an equals sign, leading to additional confusion.
tinybang said:
This should be 6570/(x + 9) = 6570/19 = <whatever>

Am really sorry ill keep all that in mind. I seriously have no idea where to go with this. I've tried the method of elimination/substitution. Does this perhaps have to be a quadratic function?

You will get a quadratic equation for x.

ehild

Hey I ended up working it out. Took me a good few hours but yes I ended up with a quadratic. Thanks for the help. :)

I am pleased. What did you get for x?

ehild

For the purpose of this thread I did change the equation a bit from the my homework as a result I got decimal numbers which may seem a bit strange.

S I got 250.28 and X i got 26.25

You have x people initially, and each one of them was to get S dollars. How many dollars does this amount to in total (in terms of x and S only)? How is this related to the $6570?

Chet

tinybang said:
For the purpose of this thread I did change the equation a bit from the my homework as a result I got decimal numbers which may seem a bit strange.

What is the original statement of the problem that gives you these numbers? If X represents a number of family members, does a fractional number for family members make sense?

tinybang said:

You should check your calculations by using your value of x in the original problem statement.
I worked through the algebra and I got a different result.

You also can't have a fraction of a person showing up to claim a share, since the number of humans is maddeningly restricted to the set of positive integers.

Related to How many family members originally had to share $6570?

1. What is an algebra problem solving task?

An algebra problem solving task is a mathematical problem that involves using algebraic equations and principles to find a solution. It typically involves variables, constants, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do I solve an algebra problem solving task?

To solve an algebra problem, you will need to follow a series of steps that involve rearranging and manipulating equations to isolate the variable you are trying to solve for. These steps may include combining like terms, simplifying fractions, and using inverse operations.

3. What are some tips for solving algebra problem solving tasks?

Some tips for solving algebra problems include taking your time, carefully reading the problem and identifying what is being asked, and clearly organizing your work to avoid mistakes. It can also be helpful to practice with a variety of different problems to build your skills and familiarity with algebraic equations.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebra problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebra problems include mixing up the order of operations, not properly distributing negative signs, and forgetting to combine like terms. It is also important to double check your work and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can I improve my algebra problem solving skills?

One of the best ways to improve your algebra problem solving skills is to practice regularly. You can also seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or working with a tutor. It can also be helpful to review and understand common algebraic formulas and principles, as well as the steps involved in solving different types of algebra problems.