How many integers from 1 through 99,999 is the sum of their digits = 9?

In summary, the conversation discusses working with r-combinations with repetition allowed and using the formula (r + n - 1)(r) where n represents categories and r represents choices. An example is given for finding solutions to an equation with a given condition. The conversation also addresses applying the same technique to a more complex problem and clarifies the correct approach. The final solution is determined to be 1001 possible combinations.
mr_coffee
Wow, I'm totally lost on where to start for this one.
In this chapter we have been working with r-combinations with repeition allowed and using the form of(r + n - 1)
(r )
Where n stands for categories, so if you had 4 categories u would use 3 bars to break up the categories. And r chocies.

For example, I think I did a simplier problem that might help me:

Find how many solutions there are to given equation that satisfy the given condition.y_1 + y_2 + y_3 + y_4 = 30, each y_i is an integer that is at least 2.

So y_i >= 2.

There are 4, y's, so you have 4 categories, thus 3 bars to split up the categories. I will represent the sum by putting x's in each category so the end result equals 30, this will help me visualize the combinations.

There are already 2 x's in each category to start with before I even begin to place any x's in, so that means 30-8 = 22. So i have 22 x's i can distribute.
xxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxx | x | x
I have 22 x's here, + 8 already in there = 30.

So apply the formula, I have (22 + (4-1)) choose (22)
= 25 choose 22
= 25!/(22!3!) = 2300.Now can I apply this technique to the above problem? If so I really don't see how...

I could do like

x_1 + x_2 + x_3 +...+ x_99999 = 9

but that means I would have 99,999 - 1 categories, and 9 x's to distrubute in those 99,998 categories anywhere I want i guess.

So with that logic the combination would look like:
(9 + 9998) choose 9
= (10007) choose 9
= (10007)!/[9!(9998)!]
= undefined by the all mighty ti-89

which can't be right...any idea where I'm messing up?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can apply the same technique but I think you are doing it incorrectly. Consider this: We are looking at the integers from 1 to 99,999 so let us look at numbers of the following form: [itex]x_{1}x_{2}x_{3}x_{4}x_{5}[/itex] where [itex]x_{1}[/itex], is the first digit of our number, [itex]x_{2}[/itex] is the second, and so on, also [itex]0 \leq x_{i} \leq 9[/itex] for each [itex]x_{i}[/itex] since each digit can vary from 0 to 9 (note that 00004 = 4).

Using this, what would the equation be? Keep in mind that we want the sum of all the digits to equal 9. Then what would be the number of solutions to this equation? (You should get 715)

Note that if the digits summed up to a number more than 9 we would have to use a different technique, for example we could use the inclusion-exclusion principle.

Last edited:
I believe the question is only asking for the number of solutions to: [tex]x_1+x_2+x_3+x_4+x_5=9[/tex] with [tex]0 \le x_i \le 9,x_i \in \bf{N}[/tex].

thanks for the reply guys, I think marc got that right when he said x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5 = 9.

And it matches what you said matt I think. But I'm getting a slightly larger answer than yours matt. Here is my work:
[tex]x_1+x_2+x_3+x_4+x_5=9[/tex]

So you have 5 categories, thus you can use 4 bars to reprsent that. You also only have 9 x's to distrubute into those 5 categories. So an example of one would be:

xx|xxx|xx|x|x

So you have 9 x's and 4 |'s
then apply the formula:
(9+4) choose 9 = 13 choose 9 = 13!/(9!4!) = 171600 solutions.

Any idea where I messedup?

Yep it matches what I said. You did everything right, I am not sure how you got 171600; when I compute 13 choose 9 I get 715, and when I do 13!/(9!4!) I also get 715, so I am not sure what you did there. However, I would just leave the answer as 13 choose 9.

Thanks matt, i was using the calculator on windows lol i did it by hand and got what u got, thanks again for the help!

Aren't they simply those integers divisible by 9? So there should be 99,999/9 of them.

99,999 is divisible by 9 but the digits sum to 45.

Not quite...

marcmtlca said:
I believe the question is only asking for the number of solutions to: [tex]x_1+x_2+x_3+x_4+x_5=9[/tex] with [tex]0 \le x_i \le 9,x_i \in \bf{N}[/tex].

That should give you 715 but that is not the full answer!

The question asks for all integers from 1 through 99999. Your solutions are only integers 10000-99999. You'd also need to do:
[tex]x_1+x_2+x_3+x_4=9[/tex] with [tex]0 \le x_i \le 9,x_i \in \bf{N}[/tex]
(Should give you 220)
[tex]x_1+x_2+x_3=9[/tex] with [tex]0 \le x_i \le 9,x_i \in \bf{N}[/tex]
(Should give you 55)
[tex]x_1+x_2=9[/tex] with [tex]0 \le x_i \le 9,x_i \in \bf{N}[/tex]
(Should give you 10)
[tex]x_1=9[/tex] with [tex]0 \le x_i \le 9,x_i \in \bf{N}[/tex]
(Should give you 1)

Then simply add them together:
715+220+55+10+1=1001 (Your CORRECT Answer!).

Hope this helps!

No because within
X1+X2+X3+X4+X5=9

0+9+0+0+0 is a valid combination

So the answer is 715

Oops! I stand corrected.

devious_ said:
Aren't they simply those integers divisible by 9? So there should be 99,999/9 of them.
You are thinking of "casting out 9s": add the digits and if the sum is greater than 9, repeat. Hear the condition is just "the sum of digits is 9". As marcmtlca said, 99,999 itself is divisible by 9 but its sum of digits is 45. Of course, 4+ 5= 9.

Related to How many integers from 1 through 99,999 is the sum of their digits = 9?

1. How many integers from 1 through 99,999 have a sum of digits equal to 9?

The answer is 10,000. These integers are: 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 81, and 90.

2. How can you calculate the number of integers with a sum of digits equal to 9?

One way to calculate this is by using the formula (n+8) choose 8, where n is the number of digits in the integer. For example, for 2-digit integers, the formula would be (2+8) choose 8 = 10 choose 8 = 45.

3. Is there a pattern in the integers with a sum of digits equal to 9?

Yes, there is a pattern. The first integer with a sum of digits equal to 9 is 9, then the next integer is found by adding 9 to the previous integer. This pattern continues until the integer reaches 90, after which it starts over at 9 and repeats.

4. Can you find the sum of digits equal to 9 for integers greater than 99,999?

No, the sum of digits equal to 9 only applies to integers from 1 through 99,999. For integers greater than this, the sum of digits may or may not equal 9.

5. How can this problem be applied in real-life situations?

This problem can have various applications in fields such as statistics, probability, and computer science. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of randomly choosing a number with a sum of digits equal to 9 from a given range. It can also be used in coding algorithms and data validation processes.