How Many Molecules in 1 mL of a Vacuum at 27.0 degrees Celsius?

In summary, using the ideal gas law, the number of molecules present in each mL at a temperature of 27.0 degrees Celsius and a pressure of 1.315789 atm is 3.22*10^8 molecules/mL with three significant figures.
maceng7

Homework Statement

A vacuum pump on Earth can produce a vacuum with a pressure as low as 1.00*10^-8 torr. How many molecules are present in each mL at a temperature of 27.0 degrees Celsius?

V = 1mL = 10^-3 L <-- How many sig figs should I use here? Should I make it 1.00*10^-3L or keep it 10^-3L?
P = 1.315789 atm
T = 300.15 K
n = ?

Homework Equations

Pv = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

PV =nRT

n = PV / RT

= (1.315789atm)(1.00*10^-3L) / (0.08206 Latm / Kmol)(300.15K)

= 5.342156*10^-16mol * 6.022*10^23 molecules

= 3.22*10^8 molecules / L <--- How do I change my answer back to how many molecules/mL and how many sig figs should my answer reflect? 1 or 3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah so would I just multiply my answer by 1000?

okay so think a liter is 1000 times bigger than a mL right? so that means it can hold 1000
times the # of molecules that an mL would have? so do you multiply or divide?

my mistake, yeah I'd definitely divide my answer by 1000. Also for sig figs, since the question says "one milliliter" how many digits should I interpret that as? Should I let the volume = 1mL, which would give me one sig fig in my answer or should I just make it 1.00mL and include 3 sig figs in my answer?

Your answer was already correct - you used 10-3L as a volume, so you calculated number of moles in 1 mL. You added L at the very end of the calculation out of nothing, confusing yourself.

Question says "in each mL" which probably means "exactly mL" - so there is as many significant digits as you want. Sure, it doesn't make sense to report all digits your calculator displays - I would go with three.

Related to How Many Molecules in 1 mL of a Vacuum at 27.0 degrees Celsius?

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of ideal gases. It states that the product of pressure and volume is proportional to the number of moles of gas and the absolute temperature. The equation is usually expressed as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the absolute temperature.

2. What are the units for the Ideal Gas Law?

The units for the Ideal Gas Law depend on the units used for each variable. The pressure (P) is usually measured in atmospheres (atm), the volume (V) in liters (L), the number of moles (n) in moles (mol), the gas constant (R) in joules per mole per Kelvin (J/mol*K), and the temperature (T) in Kelvin (K). However, any consistent units can be used as long as they are converted appropriately.

3. How is the Ideal Gas Law used in real-life situations?

The Ideal Gas Law is used in many real-life situations, such as in the design and operation of gas-powered engines, to predict the behavior of gases in industrial processes, and in gas laws experiments in chemistry. It is also used in weather forecasting and in the study of Earth's atmosphere.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law assumes that the gas molecules have no volume and do not interact with each other. It also assumes that the gas molecules are in constant random motion and that there are no external forces acting on the gas.

5. How does the Ideal Gas Law relate to the Kinetic Molecular Theory?

The Ideal Gas Law is derived from the Kinetic Molecular Theory, which explains the behavior of ideal gases based on the movement of their molecules. The theory states that gas molecules are in constant motion and collide with each other and the walls of their container, creating pressure. The Ideal Gas Law mathematically relates the variables of pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles to the behavior of gas molecules as described by the Kinetic Molecular Theory.